ADVERTISEMENT

Our defensive issues in hoops as seen by a fan...

WoodyVU66

Admiral
Gold Member
Apr 8, 2014
Madison, Tn.
Not sure if someone more knowledgeable about the ins and outs of college basketball than I am sees the same problem I do, but here's what I see.

Obviously our defensive numbers on the season are good, but that's because the majority of our opponents so far weren't talented enough to consistently exploit these issues like Kansas and Baylor did.

First of all, our switching defenses cause serious mismatches when DJ or Luke leave the paint because then our rim protection is gone, and they can't defend smaller players on the perimeter. Also helps to cause us to rebound poorly with our big men away from the basket, which is where most of the rebounds are.

Also, our perimeter players (besides WB IV) aren't quick enough to guard the better guards we have and will face. Not having DJ and Luke where they are supposed to be (around the basket to protect the rim) allows an easy road to the basket with our bigs out on the perimeter if our guards get beat, which happens alot against quality competition.

Dribble penetration has long been an Achilles heel to VU hoops, but recently with the centers we've been fortunate enough to have on our roster, it was negated some by our shot blockers. They can't block shots when they are out at the 3 point line.

Am I just a clueless fan, or do others see this problem?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News