ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Opportunity VU

VUBob

Admiral
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2003
I really enjoy the excuses that come from opposing baseball fans when Vanderbilt has success. Most of the excuses center on Opportunity VU and that it creates an unfair advantage. As far as I know all schools have 11.7 scholarships that can be used to cover 27 of the 35 man roster. The rest of the tab is either covered by additional scholarships (academic, need based) or grants/loans. In Vanderbilt’s case they have Opportunity VU that can be used by all students. From what I can tell based on reading up the Opportunity VU website, no student ever has all of their expenses covered and the need is determined using a “blind” process. Dansby Swanson is a great example of someone who took advantage of an athletic scholarship and Opportunity VU yet still had to take out student loans. I’m assuming that most of our players (families) still have to cover the equivalent of instate tuition and what has happened is really a leveling of the field. In my opinion folks like Fitt and Rogers add fuel to the fire by not putting the need based program in perspective.

If it truly is an advantage then I’d expect Mason and Stackhouse to be loading up on “walk-on’s”

As an aside, if I’m a coach at a state school I either use the scholarship money I have on a star player, an out of state player (cover the costs of out of state tuition), and/or a star out of state player.

Reactions: Commando Chief
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News