ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball NCAAT: Sunday, June 3

VUjunior

Admiral
Nov 30, 2015
Vienna, Austria
While you were sleeping last night we had another National Seed lose as Stanford was beaten by Fullerton, the #3 seed, one night after having to go to extra innings to beat the #4 seed.
UCLA also lost to Minnesota.
On the other end of the spectrum, Oregon State beat the chitlins out of LSU and Paul Mainieri by a score of 14-1. The only downside to the game from OSU's perspective was they had a convicted child sexual offender on the mound as their starter.

Vandy's quadrant of the CWS bracket is now looking very interesting. In the 4 involved regions undefeated teams are the #2, #3, #3 and #3 seeds. Who knows if those all win out but that would be an interesting first game in the CWS between 2 of those 4 teams, one of which would likely be this year's Cinderella. It's also possible they both could be Cinderella's although I don't know if that is technically possible.

Overall, the SEC is now 15-3 and no one is yet eliminated although LSU, Miss St, and A&M face that possibility today. Six of the 8 Super Regional teams on the left side of the CWS bracket could very well be SEC teams.while the NCAA COmmittee-favored ACC is just 6-6. How in world did the ACC get as many hosts as did the SEC? Seriously, the Committee thought 3 of the best 11 teams were from the ACC? I call for a Congressional Investigation as soon as they wrap up the Benghazi Investigation.

Today's action includes finishing up the regionals in Georgia and Ole Miss from yesterday. They've been rain plagued. Tenn Tech goes up against Ole Miss and Georgia faces the men of Troy.

Of most interest to Vandy fans this morning is an 11AM CT contest between St. John's and Clemson. May the worst team win. Vandy plays the winner at 5 pm CT on (I hope) the SEC Network. And speaking of that, UT alum Chris Burke has actually done a good job and not been biased against Vandy, unlike people like Ben McDonald et al.

It's another good day to watch high quality college baseball, especially this afternoon and tonight, in a day that will see 16 more teams go home in addition to the 16 who went home yesterday. We'll be down to Thorny Thirty-two by today's second round of games.

Today's first round TV action:
11 am Georgia-Troy ESPNU
11 am Clemson-St.John's ESPN3
11 am Miss State-Samford ESPN2
2 pm Indiana-Texas A&M ESPN2
2 pm LSU-NW St ESPNU
4 pm Ole Miss-Tenn Tech ESPN3

I can honestly see the SEC going 5-0 in these games. This will further illustrate the absurdity of leaving Kentucky out of the tournament in favor of Northeastern (who went 0-2.) By my count there's at least 40 teams in this tournament who were not as good as Kentucky. If the Committee is going to place this much emphasis on conference record then they need to do an adjustment based on the strength of the conference. For example, 13-17 in the SEC is equivalent to 30-0 in the Colonial Athletic Conference. See what I mean?

We don't know the opponents yet but the second round of today's game start this afternoon and we'll give a TV summary when it's known what it is since, as Kevin Stallings used to say, it is what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News