ADVERTISEMENT

Mississippi State Game - The Game

jfchatiii

Admiral
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
Not a lot of focus on the board about tomorrow's game from an "X's" and "O's" perspective . . . .

First, before getting to the numbers, I worry about the team's emotion following the extreme high from two nights ago (although Stackhouse has shown over the last 8 games a pretty good ability to know which buttons to push) and our ability to adapt without Liam being on the floor (see 1-3 earlier in the season) (I discount, to some extent, the KY game because we were likely running on in-game adrenalin.).

I start with Tolu Smith and almost end with Tolu Smith, unless someone comes out of the woodwork to put a one game "season's best" performance tomorrow evening. Smith has . . .

• led his team in scoring 17 times . . . 15.8 per game;
  • is the only player averaging in double figures;
  • has led his team in rebounding in all but 11 games . . . 8.2 per game;
  • takes over 1/3 of his team's free throws, although connects at a 56.9% clip;
  • is #1 in FG % in the SEC . . . 58.6%;
  • leads his team in blocks . . . 0.7 per game; and
  • commits a little over 2 turnovers per game.
Most of the other players exhibit high-end athleticism which complements fairly good basketball skills, although the latter does not include shooting from distance. The team . . .

• shoots 27.4% from "3";
  • connects at a 64.8% from the line;
  • has a FG % of 42.7%;
  • leads the SEC in steals;
  • are 5th in assists; and
  • are 13th in scoring.
They have beaten Marquette and TCU (without Mike Miles) out of conference; they beat MO, AR and aTm in conference (and lost close to AL, UK and MO).

MSU's coach is all about defense and that shows both as a positive and as a negative.

What say you?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News