ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Recruiting Keon Johnson

Brad512

Sub-lieutenant
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2007
I watched Keon Johnson's team, Webb School, play tonight against Hamilton Heights tonight in Bell Buckle. Roger Powell was in attendance for the game. This was my first chance to see Keon Johnson. Webb School was overmatched by Hamilton Heights, and it was a rough game for Johnson. He scored 9 points by my count. Hamilton Heights was loaded with talent, and I would guess several players on their team will be playing high major D-1 basketball at some point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Vandy has offered at least 1 Hamilton Heights player in Sam Ruhzentev. Webb School didn't have the size to match up with Hamilton Heights' post players, and Johnson had to play out of position and defend the post. Webb School is pretty small overall, as Johnson is their tallest player at 6'5". Hamilton Heights by contrast, had 2 guys that were at least 6'8". I think one was listed 6'9" about 270 lbs and another was 6'8" and 240 lbs. As for my observations on Johnson's game, I can see the talent. He's a big time athlete and has a good looking shot. He seems to be a pretty good passer as well. He didn't have a good game though. There were plenty of times early in the game where I felt Webb School needed him to make a play for them and lead them, but he wasn't up to the task. He would certainly try at times, but it didn't work out that well tonight for him and his team. He turned the ball over too much. I didn't keep track of how many times he turned the ball over, but I'd say he turned it over at least 5 times. I feel like there were several times in the game where he just took plays off. He was jawing a bit with a player from Hamilton Heights at one point. He could use some maturity. I'm sure he was frustrated with how the game was going because it wasn't close (Hamilton Heights scored at least 110 and won by about 50 points). Still, there were plenty of parts of his game that could use improving. He's only a junior and I don't mean to be negative. There's plenty to like about his game. Tonight was not one of those nights where you watch him and say "Wow this guy's going to be a stud in college!". This is only my first time to watch him play, and I hope to watch him some more this season. Hopefully next time I watch him he showcases why he's such a highly regarded prospect.

As for Ruhzentev for Hamilton Heights, I like his game. I don't know how much interest there is between Vandy and Ruhzentev, but I will say the guy can shoot and has nice size for a wing. He made some 3s and had a nice pull up from mid range in the game. He showed some athleticism tonight getting above the rim as well. Hamilton Heights just seemed to be loaded with good players. Vandy should stay in contact with that pipeline because I have a feeling there will be several good players coming out of that high school in the next few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News