ADVERTISEMENT

It's March! Will the Lions come roaring in?

VUjunior

Admiral
Nov 30, 2015
Vienna, Austria
We saw almost as many runs at The Hawk yesterday as we saw all last weekend against UIC. Today we play game 2 of the series with the University of Southeast Louisiana Lions. I think Louisiana has almost as many directionally named state universities as Florida does.

I was 100% wrong about Kendall yesterday; I proposed he "take a day off". Boy did he show me up! Two big, long, booming home runs that basically won the game. Of course, Harrison "Ford" Ray's big blast helped a whole lot too. That kids got some oompf in his bat for sure, hope he gets to see more action here soon.

We were all so spoiled by Tyler Campbell's virtuoso plays at 2nd base (and Dansby before that, not to mention Gomez) that we are overly-critical, I think, of Paul and Jones at second. They are doing a fairly good job, actually, but it is definitely one of the less strong spots in our defense. Now if we can just get Ethan's bat going again.

Speaking of defense, Ro made a tremendous catch on the foul line in left. When he went down I had visions of the time Kyle Smith ran into the wall, threw his eye off, leading to struggles at the plate for the next 2 years. Fortunately, Ro was just "playin'" and was up and running around within seconds. He's a fun guy to watch.

Collin Snider pitched well again and Reed Hayes picked up another save with a strong 9th inning. I suspect he'll get more opportunities to close given that Rupp has been less than spectacular in that role.

It'll be interesting to see today who our 2nd weekday starter is. I sure hope Chandler Day gets things straightened out because I believe we will need him in a big way as the season progresses. My guess today is that Matt McGarry gets the nod.

Both starters yesterday struggled with control. They both basically threw about as many balls as they did strikes.

Best thing about the game, other than winning, is that is finished fairly early, giving me plenty of time to get home and settle in to the basketball game with UK. That sure was a great first 10 minutes or so. The rest, not so much. However, when I saw that we drew BOTH Anthony Jordan and Jamie Luck I figured it would be a bad night in the end, and I was correct. It's hard enough to win at Rupp without those two numbskulls skewing things Kentucky's way. At least they are consistent in that regard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News