ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Is Bryce Drew an elite recruiter?

ChesterCopperpot1

Admiral
Gold Member
Sep 22, 2011
Nashville
Bryce Drew took over in Spring 2016. He "signed" the 2016 class, the 2017 class, 2018 class, and now the 2019 class. I am going to use 247 for this exercise because, quite frankly, Rivals is terrible at keeping data. For instance, I tried to look at team rankings for 2016, and it simply provided the word "undecided". Fix your stuff, Rivals, and quit making profiles for fake recruits (cc: @RivalsWoody).

In the 2017 class, Drew signed the following:

Ejike Obinna
Max Evans
Saben Lee

This class ranked 52nd overall and 10th in the SEC. (Note: it finished 1 spot behind Pitt. However, this is skewed because Pitt had 7 commits; VU only had 3.)

In the 2018 class, Drew signed the following:

Darius Garland
Simi Shittu
Aaron Nesmith

Easily the best class on paper in Vanderbilt history. This class ranked 13th overall and 3rd in the SEC.

In the 2019 class, Drew has the following committed/signed:

Dylan Disu
Aaron Crowley
Scottie Pippen Jr.

This class ranks 34th overall and 8th in the SEC.

In addition, Drew has signed the following transfers:

Larry Austin Jr.
Matthew Moyer
Yanni Wetzel
Matt Ryan

So, relative to our peers, we have finished 10th, 3rd, and 8th in the conference in Drew's 3 classes. I have accepted the fact that Drew will get year 4 despite not deserving it, but Vanderbilt just doesn't pay people to not work. However, if the 2020 class is around the 8-10 mark in the SEC, I think it is safe to say the year we finished 3rd is the outlier to what Drew really is as a recruiter. He certainly doesn't have an eye for talent in the transfer market.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News