ADVERTISEMENT

Interview with NCAA Selection Committee Chairman

Friedas_Boss

Admiral
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2003
So I was in Birmingham this morning and happened to catch an interview with the chairman of the Selection Committee and he clarified something @Chris Lee continues to push (the narrative that we can’t make the NCAAT because of our computer numbers). I think Chris has 3-4 posts on this so far and I’ve probably even missed a few.

In a nutshell, the interviewee was asked about NET rankings and as discussed, he clarified that they don’t use net rankings to rank the teams or give them at large bids. They use NET rankings to look at the teams in question and their opponents’ NET ranking. Also not new info but continuing to reference our NET and KenPom rankings is only a small portion of how they use computer numbers. Further, and as we know, he explained how they look at Quad 1, Quad 2 records, etc.

Most importantly, he said that just because your NET ranking is 30th, that doesn’t mean you’re getting selected and just because your NET ranking is in the 70’s, that doesn’t mean you WON’T get selected. Note that Chris mentioned the lowest NET ranking ever given and at large bid was #73 I think.

In other words, we’re very much alive for an at large bid. We’ll have to play our way in but it’s doable based on our Quad 1 and Quad 2 record, which is pretty good now but obviously needs to finish somewhere between 4-1 and 5-2 down the stretch (including SEC Tourney).

4-2 in my mind puts us squarely on the bubble imho.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News