ADVERTISEMENT

Football I'm not angry - I'm sad

becks4vu

Commodore
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2003
I'm sad because we lost decisively in a game that is a true measuring stick of where our program is.

I'm sad because our defensive line and our cornerbacks are still nowhere near SEC-caliber. We suspected it before. Now there is no doubt.

I'm sad because our offense always seems like it running against a head wind. We make the simple and easy things look so complicated and difficult. We have enough talent on that side of the ball to have our way with a lot of defenses. I do think we need new, innovative coordinators - especially on offense

I'm sad because it was a huge letdown to get excited all week and have such a start to the game. Anyone who has followed VU football for any length of time knows that feeling.

I'm sad because we couldn't get a yard when we needed it and we couldn't keep Wake from getting a yard (or 20) when they needed it.

I'm sad because we didn't "play complementary football in all 3 phases".

I'm sad because they didn't "do small things well".

I'm sad because our fan base is infighting - not over tactical questions such as who should be playing where or how to manage the clock. Our debates are over the inner soul and future direction of the program. And while I really want to think that we are on the right track and have started to build a good foundation for future growth, I cannot really make good arguments against those who disagree.

I'm sad because Lea's intellectually-based leadership seems to be wasted on these kids. His leadership tenets and philosophies of performance are actually very inspiring to me. I try to replicate it with my teams and colleagues at work, and also individually in all my affairs. I also use at home with my children. I will say it seems to work a lot better with adult professionals than it does with teenaged children. It bothered me that I noticed a lot of blank stares from the team when Lea was getting philosophical in SEC Inside. Also, the team needs to be more emotionally invested on game days, and it starts with him. Sitting right behind the bench again AAMU, it seemed few players seemed to really be paying attention to the action on the field. They weren't being disrespectful, but they didn't seem bought in. I just kind of wrote it off as being AAMU, and I couldn't really hear the conversations anyway. I was just going on body language. But I don't see enthusiasm, joy, reckless abandon, nor passion. On the field I see kids who seem to be thinking too much and afraid to make mistakes. On game days I want them to forget/trust their training, hang their nuts down, and play ball.

Bottom line - I still believe that Lea is the right man for the job. I believe in what he is doing and how he goes about it. But I also know I could be completely wrong and that scares me tremendously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News