ADVERTISEMENT

If we get a new coach, what are REALISTIC expectations for men's hoops?

WoodyVU66

Admiral
Gold Member
Apr 8, 2014
Madison, Tn.
We are perceived as a "basketball school" by ourselves and by most anyone that pays attention to college athletics. And we should be a basketball school. In theory, it should be a lot easier to get a couple of difference makers in basketball and be successful then in football just from a numbers standpoint. Three 4 star type players in basketball usually means success, while three 4 stars in football isn't close to enough.

But, in reality, this basketball school we all love and support didn't really go to the NCAAT very often before CKS and his 6 trips in 17 years. I'm saying this in no way trying to defend CKS. I've had enough, it's time for someone else.

I ask this wanting honest opinions on what should our expectations be with a new coach. You in one hand have our history. It's perceived as better than it actually is. Now, I'm not saying our history is bad, just not as good as I think it's perceived to be.

So, new coach, we have a decent tradition, a fanbase ready for something good to happen, a great basketball venue, and in one of the top growing cities in the country. We feel you should be able to recruit well to VU. Our expectations for you in our basketball program based on these things are......

• Compete for National titles?
  • Compete for conference titles and make an occasional run to final four?
  • Have winning seasons and trips to the NCAAT in most years?
If it's not realistically one of those three, does the administration even make a coaching change? It's obvious that CKS can't get us to those three levels, but if behind the scenes they don't care, does a coaching change even matter?

Reactions: SoulSerenade
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News