ADVERTISEMENT

Football I think Mattioli was the defensive play-caller today

mvazquez

Midshipman
Sep 11, 2006
I will admit, I could be wrong on this, but I think Mattioli was calling the defensive plays today.
I was at the game this afternoon and for a portion of every game I closely watch to see the interaction between Coach Mason and Marve on the defensive calls. Normally Mason communicates the call to Marve who then signals it in to the players. Today Mattioli had a head set on and was holding a laminated sheet most of the game. At times Mason was no where near Marve while we were on defense...as if he was trying to keep his distance. There were a couple of times when Mason was talking with Mattioli after a play and the way they interacted gave me the strong impression he was teaching him after particular play call. Did anyone else notice?

*Chris, if you attend the press conference on Tuesday, could you please ask Mason about this? I don't see this as a negative. The way our defense has played after week 3 this season had me thinking that perhaps Mason needs to hire a full time DC or develop someone on the staff. No one has spent more time around Mason than Mattioli, going back years at Stanford and who better to mentor him through this role.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News