ADVERTISEMENT

fanbase, in a nutshell

vanderbill

Lieutendant Commander
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
while the on field product was cringe worthy at best, the half time award ceremony for ‘outstanding senior’ really drove home ( to me anyway ) the reality of what remains of the vu fanbase. with no disrespect intended towards the fine scholars lined up on the field, I couldn’t help but note ( and I’m just guessing here )that probably not a single one of the ten had ever attended a vu sporting event until yesterday, and that probably none of them ever will again. they were all highly accomplished, multi majored students from California, Michigan, etc…which is fine. it simply is not a formula that creates lifelong fans and puts butts in the seats every Saturday.
vu once was a regional university, that attracted , and accepted, far more students from nashville, the surrounding area, and surrounding states. no more.
vu now scours the globe for the best and brightest, often at the expense of students closer to home.
so as was the case with the 10 students being honored yesterday, their job status and ambitions announced to all, many snag the coveted degree, and move back from where they came, never to step foot in the Dud again. the maroon clad fans next to me commented as well on the geographical diversity represented by these students. I’m not at all puzzled why there are fewer and fewer vu fans every year.

side note: the p.a. announcer may be the most annoying voice I’ve ever heard. he got a huge laugh from the ms st fans , and an audible groan from me, when he proclaimed “ another vu first down “ !! bringing our total to that point to exactly 2. what a cheeseball he is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News