ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Facts! I know many this day and time dont use them but here goes:

Boomax

Lieutendant Commander
Mar 18, 2016
Facts:

1) Coach Bryce Drew (CBD) has been provided close to zero from his AD who allowed both WBB and MBB to greatly decline and lose fan support under prior coaches, and in spite of this -

2) CBD is bringing in top tier recruits that may change the TRUE LANDSCAPE of Vanderbilt MBB after being afforded the opportunity of truly implementing his system with his players over the next 2-3 years

3) Remember, CBD has only enjoyed 2 recruiting classes (actually playing) in this 3rd year, which has delayed implementation of HIS system with his best recruit...

4) Darius injury 100% changed the landscape of 2018/2019 and all can say "it has been over a month" .... but in reality how do you plug anyone and /or overhaul to a new system this early in a tenure without the necessary players? Not easily but I have seen "on fly" changes to the system and then see players miss those wide open looks (need players and they will be here in time)

5) Saben is an elite athlete with good ball skills but actually hurts Vandy playing the PG spot simply because he struggles shooting and thus allowing the opponent to cheat defensively. Dont misunderstand, Saben is a good ballplayer that as a Jr / Sr will be the kind of guy we are getting killed by (experienced players) to others and discounting his boneheaded technical is growing. On so many occasions over penetrates to miss the kick out to the wide open shooter and this frustrates everyone.

6) Open Looks compared to Missing them.... People say CBD isnt helping get his players looks but I use this week as great examples, we missed uncontested lay ins (11 total versus MSU alone and 6 early in the initial half) and multiple WIDE OPEN 3s compared to opponents seemingly making shots with hands in their faces or choosing to drive and turnover... Examples: Joe Toye caught the ball in wide open space to then not take the shots compared to Matt Ryan who in one sequence caught the ball for wide open 3 to then delay, drive and turnover for layup for USC that got them back in the game.

7) Simi -what do you say? He hasnt looked like a 5 star outside of showing off his handles versus bad teams. His knee injury set him back further than anyone could have imagined but specifically his shooting has been horrendous. Who knows, maybe him finally making a 3 gets that cover off the lid.

8) Player Leadership - Joe Toye has been the most disappointing player in program history IMO, because he seems to have all the tools but cant get out of his own way.

9) Matt Ryan - there is a reason why he didnt play at Notre Dame much as a soph.... He hurts the team if not making shots and I firmly believe some people are great practice players only

10) Finally - dont give up on Bryce and I encourage people to play a good part versus negative and yes comparisons to Coach K are legit in that it took 4 recruiting classes for that program to turn around.

More than all the above, it is shameful to call yourself a fan or even a decent human being when wishing a program fails because you hate Christians, so my advice - move to Iran and join the other anti-Christian American Haters! No humor meant - just leave!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News