ADVERTISEMENT

Dayton - Tomorrow

jfchatiii

Admiral
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
Not much talk about the game tomorrow . . . So, I will offer a few thoughts

The game represents a nice opportunity for the Dores to show how they are now a different team once they have almost all of their players available.

First, the Flyers were the last team left out of the NCAA tourney; it's very possible they are playing with a "chip" on their collective shoulders. They lost to Richmond in the semis of the A10 by 4; we all saw what Richmond did to Iowa.

Second, you can throw out the first four games of the years - - losses to Lipscomb and APSU - - as this is the 2nd youngest team in the nation and the Flyers had some growing pains; since that time they are 23-7. I would , also, throw out any notion that we can play with them by just giving a so-so effort based on Dayton's loss to Ole Miss . . . that's the Ole Miss team with Ruffen who went for 19 versus the Flyers. When you look at their losses a few stand out as "bad" losses . . . George Mason (14-16), LaSalle (almost at the bottom of the A-10 . . . as I would "guess" that as a young team they failed to take thier opponent seriously and paid a price.

Edit: Forgot to add . . . the Flyers beat Kansas . . . a big omission on my part. While we can "kid" ourselves that that was not the same Kansas team as the team we see now but still . . . .

They have 2 freshmen guards from NYC . . . skilled and hard-nosed. They have a stud 6'10" freshman forward (LaRon Holmes) who leads the team in scoring and blocked shots; he will be a "load" for Liam and Q.

As a team, the word "balanced" and "team" come to mind as 8 players play 20 + minutes per game and those same 8 players average between 12.7 and 5.7 points per game. 7 of the 8 players (everyone but Holmes) hit 3's at a rate of between 29 and 42 percent (Team = 36.5%). The team free throw % is 68.2%; this number is dragged down by their 2 big men who shoot just below 60%.

KenPom has Dayton at 42 while the Dores are 63.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News