ADVERTISEMENT

Concerning the SECT Championship game v. UF and how it impacts our NS chances

hkdore

Master
Gold Member
Apr 11, 2008
hong kong
I have stated in a couple of threads that I did not believe the outcome mattered re a NS as the voting was completed last night. I have since heard from my contact who is a HC at another school and is familiar with the process.He reconfirms the votes have all been cast but cautions this does NOT necessarily mean the outcome v. UF will not be taken into account.He told me the NCAA has wide latitude in how it handles this type of situation. He agrees with my view it is highly likely that the Committee views VU v. UF as a virtual tossup re their respective resumes,particularly now that UF has sent LSU packing. He also agrees it is unlikely that the SEC is awarded more than 3 NS. In this instance the proper thing for the NCAA to do is to canvass the voters to get a consensus that the 3rd NS should be decided on the field,thereby getting the authority to announce that the last NS will go to the winner of the Championship game.He said the drawback to this approach is it prevents the NCAA from announcing a fully formed and definite field,since all the teams are known but not all the seedings. It is entirely possible our game v. UF will not be complete by the time of the expected announcement. He said they may just decide to delay the announcement of the draws we get as well as UF gets until our outcome is known,particularly as it would affect several other teams in our respective brackets.So the announcement show would cover all the teams unaffected by the outcome of our game and then complete the NCAAT picture at the conclusion of our game,which would actually be good for ratings and add a real element of drama.

My contact emphasized this was only his own speculation as he is not a voting member this year. But the map he provided and his pointing out the wide latitude the NCAA possesses has altered my thinking.I now believe there is a very REAL likelihood today's game is for the last NS as well as the SECT Championship.

FWIW.

Reactions: Vandygal78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News