ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching update, 1:15 p.m. Tuesday

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
I've continued to work my sources to keep people updated on things, and so here's where I think things stand.

It has gotten very, very, very quiet at McGugin. At this point it seems to be a David WIlliams-Nick Zeppos conversation without anybody else being included. That's not great for people like me, but it's probably the smart play.

The overwhelming general belief is that Kevin Stallings is not going to be the coach next year--to paraphrase what a lot of people have told me, "everybody at McGugin knows what needs to happen."

And if Kevin were to return, it will be seen as a complete failure of leadership on the part of the chancellor and the AD. It would be a monumentally unpopular decision and wouldn't want to be David Williams or Nick Zeppos if that's the case.

I get the feeling that VCU's Will Wade will be the leading candidate to take over if there is a change.

There's also a feeling that Vanderbilt needs to perhaps start acting with a bit of urgency here. My assumption is that they're waiting to see what happens with St. Louis, but obviously they need a contingency plan if Stallings is not leaving for another job, and need to move quickly if that's the case.

I'm sorry I don't have more concrete info, but then again I don't think anybody has any. I just post this to keep you updated on what I am hearing and let you know that I'm still pursuing the story here, whatever it turns out to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News