ADVERTISEMENT

Brief Comments on Tim Beck's Offense

va72

Commodore
Gold Member
Nov 16, 2005
I've been looking at a few games of NMSU's 2023 season. I'm no expert, just an interested fan. I'd like to make a few comments about the NMSU offense after watching a limited amount of play. Maybe some knowledgeable coaches or fans can add to this assessment.

Comments:
  • I'm not sure what I would call this offense. It's primarily a spread offense with a lot of option--and a lot of passing. There is misdirection, eye candy, and distribution to many different playmakers. Coach Beck attacks the whole field, both vertically and horizontally. A defender has nowhere to hide.
  • With Pavia at QB, at least, Beck's offense generates many explosive plays--both in the air and on the ground. Maybe fans shouldn't step out for a hotdog when we have the ball. They might miss a big play!
  • Someone with more technical expertise would have to confirm this, but my observation is that Beck is not locked into any particular formation or play series. He appears to have several that he prefers, but he doesn't seem particularly predictable. I think the best way to predict what he will do is for a DC to line up in a certain way to try to influence Beck to run the plays he likes to use against particular defenses.
  • I don't know that SEC teams will typically run unsound defenses. However, it looks to me that Beck will make an unsound defense pay dearly. Coach Beck may be 60 years old, but he seems to have great expertise in taking advantage of a defense's weaknesses. He can make the defense look silly.
  • I've changed my mind about Pavia. I knew he was supposed to be good. I think he is even better than good. He's creative, tough, a winner, and a leader. I really don't see how he could not start next season if he's physically ready.
  • The other side of this is that I really, really hope that Nate Johnson quickly picks up this offense. Though I expect Pavia to start, I think Johnson could in time turn on his electric play in Beck's offense and light up the scoreboard. Pavia is savvy, etc. He knows how to make the right decisions in the offense. Sometimes the "Red Sea splits” in the middle of the line. If Pavia can take it to the house sometimes when this happens, maybe Nate can do it even more.

P.S. A couple of further comments:

(1) Beck can keep it powerfully simple. If the opposing secondary drops a defender far off a receiver, Beck sometimes spreads the field and has Pavia quickly toss the ball to that receiver. If they give the offense an easy six or seven yards, he’ll take it. No need to use Mason’s “impose your will” approach.

(2) On one midrange TD pass, NMSU lined up in a shotgun “full house backfield” with a wide receiver to each side. Using maximum protection coupled with single coverage, Pavia threaded the needle to one of the receivers who ran a simple post route for the touchdown. Pitch and catch. I assume Beck spotted a mismatch. Why make something complicated and difficult?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News