ADVERTISEMENT

Off topic Bizzaro Vandy

VandyFitz

Admiral
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2010
Does it not seem odd to anyone else that VCDW announced his retirement about a year in advance of actually retiring (and even odder that he told Chancellor Zeppos that he was ready to retire a year prior to that)? No doubt Zeppos has his high points (I'm told), but if a key employ tells you they want to retire, I would think that you would let them do so expeditiously since they clearly won't be burning the midnight oil giving their full effort if they felt that they should hang up their spurs. I remember John Madden criticizing pre-announced retirements of coaches et al saying that once you decide to retire then your mind isn't in it to the fullest and you should get the hell out of the way.

I would have thought that Zeppos (or equivalent CEO, President, etc) would have begun the search for a replacement soon after the meeting last year with DW. It would avoid the distractions and competition to keep the search and interview process relatively quiet. A replacement could be named right after the public announcement of DW's retirement keeping the Athletics Department from missing a beat with any unnecessary distractions.

NZ's & DW's succession process seems to defy all common sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News