ADVERTISEMENT

Better to be a team full of transfers?

stnwall

Lieutenant
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2003
Hendersonville, TN
The complete roster turnover and discussion about whether VU could potentially start the preseason ranked in the top 20 in basketball next season has me wondering about the state of things. Clearly, the landscape in football and basketball has changed dramatically the last 3 years thanks to NIL and transfers. I thought VU was at a distinct disadvantage when they seemed to be the youngest team every year, thanks to transfers out and grad school admissions. Now, Byington has completely flipped the basketball roster. That would normally concern me quite a bit. However, I could be convinced that more experienced players, who have proven they can perform in college, will often have the advantage. it seems like the theory is being put to the test this year. It might be hard to have intricate systems that take months to master. So, simpler and more intuitive approaches to offense and defense will win out.

BTW, if this works in basketball, it should work even better in football. A roster full of more physically mature bodies will be able to bully most kids a year or two out of HS. Not sure it that will apply to every position, but it seems the direction for linemen.

Also, this probably applies to baseball at some level, but they are less likely to stay in school as long if they are elite talent. A bunch of those kids are already skipping college to start playing professionally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News