ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball coaching update

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
Have been working the contacts today to try to find out more about the coaching situations. I posted a bit of this below, but here's what I know even since then.

I don't think it's a done deal, but I think it is likely that Melanie Balcomb won't be back next year. Based on the evidence I've heard, most people who are plugged into the situation don't see this is much of a debate. The question remains on whether David Williams will pull the trigger and that's just something nobody's sure of, as David hasn't really tipped his hand on this.

I think Kevin Stallings's situation hinges on whether VU makes the NCAA Tournament or not. Vanderbilt is very hesitant to make changes and I think if the Commodores make the NCAAs, it's generally not the Vanderbilt way to fire the coach in that situation. I could be wrong.

That said, I think if VU does not make the tournament, it is more likely than not that he's gone. I think that there's immense pressure on David Williams with regards to this already, and I think that if VU's not in the tournament, it's going to reach a crescendo.

Please don't read that as me saying "done deal" on either, but it's my informed opinion that this is where things stand.

I don't know if I can say much more than that, but if you have any questions, I will answer them if I can.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News