ADVERTISEMENT

AU Tigers looking for direction

au_goat

Commander
Jan 14, 2003
Hey Commodors, I'll be headed up to Nashville with my wife and parents for the Auburn-VU game this weekend. I've been to Nashville before, but have never been to VU for a game before. Is there any unique gameday experiences a visitor should check out (at AU we have the Tiger Walk and the eagle flying)? What is the tailgate scene like there? Is it pay for parking, or just find a spot and set up a table and chairs, or both?

Also, if anyone could point me to some good places to eat, catch the afternoon games, and some craft beers, I'd appreciate it. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just good food and beer. BBQ places, Burger joins, pubs, etc. Thanks for your help and good luck this weekend. Sadly, I don't think either team is where they'd like to be at this point, hopefully AU can make it a decent game...

People tend to tailgate all over the place around the stadium. There's the Vandy tailgates on Natchez Trace but you'll also find some tailgates at the Holiday Inn parking lot and other hotels around the campus.

As for traditions, there is the Star Walk, where the players and coaches walk from the McGugin sports complex (on Jess Neely Dr. next to the stadium) into the stadium.

Food-wise, if you're looking for some drinks and food, I'd go to Hillsboro Village on 21st Ave and go to Sam's Bar and Grill or possibly Sportsmans. McDougals (amazing chicken tenders and fries) is on Blakemore Ave and is absolutely delicious. If I were you, I'd get some chicken fingers and then head over to Sams to watch the games and drink...mainly because those tenders are incredible.

If you decide to stay on West End, you can go to Blackstone Restaurant and Brewery. They have a good bar for watching and they brew their own beers, which are pretty good too.

Hope this helps. Should be a good game.

On game day, there're a set of events that Vandy's trying to make into tradition (times lifted from http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-footbl/gameday.html)

Vandyville (the VU tailgating area) opens at 8:20am - there are tents (rented by tailgaters for the season), a big TV, chick fil a stands, and a kids area with bouncy things.

Dore Walk is at 8:50am - players walk from the south end of vandyville to the north end from their bus to the athletic department.

Star Walk is at 10:11 am from the athletic department to the stadium.

As far as tailgating, all lots near campus are for donors only. There are parking garages available for free (15 mins away) or $10 (5 mins away), as per http://www.vucommodores.com/tickets/vand-parking-info.html

Some people have had success parking in the neighborhoods south of campus. Some park in Centennial Park, but tailgating and parking there for games is officially discouraged (i.e. might get ticketed or towed). Visiting teams usually have a tailgate near the north end zone entrance, but I don't know how to get you information on that.

Good places to eat, catch games, and get craft beers are as follows:
Blackstone Brewery (all 3)
Bosco's (all 3)
Sam's (eat, games)
Sportsman's (eat, games)
Jeds (games)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT