Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
On its face, Derek for all his flaws achieved these records over 4 years:
Year 1: 3-9
Year 2: 4-8
Year 3: 6-7 (independence bowl)
Year 4: 5-7
18-31

Clark with all of his smart, demure mannerisms has achieved these records over 4 years:
Team 1: 2-10
Team 2: 5-7
Team 3: 2-10
Team 4: 2-2 (in progress. personally I'm projecting 4-8)
15-37

It's not great Bob! We've literally replaced one coach who's never been a head coach with another one and the records bear out. The coordinator/staff parallels are crazy too. Derek started terribly with Kotulski but succeeded somewhat with Ludwig (in retrospect, a coup on the order of Jerry Kill), Clark had Raih and now hoping for success with Beck/Kill.

What we don't have is either a personality like James who could grab the program by the horns and tell it how it was gonna run, or an experienced successful head coach like the Leipolds and Cignettis and Chesneys of the world with demonstrated approaches. Can't take chances on guys to learn on the fly at a place like VU with the Athletic Department and SOV/Date to Grow culture we have.

The eye test tells me we are improved on offense but it is unclear whether that is sustainable after Pavia leaves. We supposedly had difference makers at CB but lack of depth is killing us. After 4 years, we could string this along like with Derek, but I'm for a change. Guess it'll be fun to see Arch Manning slinging it at the Dud.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.