ADVERTISEMENT

What I see wrong with the baseball program

9seroduv

Lieutendant Commander
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2016
I’ll start by saying you could make the argument that absolutely nothing is wrong, just a tough few weeks. Would be a bad argument either.

I’ll also say these posters that are saying “adapt” or whatever haven’t offered up the first solution…it’s just change and you have to be careful with that considering the long term success which is damn near unmatched.

This UGA series is a good time to make this post. In baseball they’ve been the sleepiest of sleeping giants. I’m not sure if their head guy is the guy but if he is they’ve got the ability to match their run in football and then some. Perno wasn’t a great baseball guy and was National runner up in ‘08, got buzzsawed by Fresno.

Want to know the difference between UGA and VU? Look at their rosters and look at 2 things specifically. Where they’re from and the sizes, particularly the position players. UGA is mostly from the south, particularly GA and are built like tanks. VUs kids are from all over and more slight in size.

Why does this matter? A college baseball season is the most intense season in all of sports. 65 games in 2.5-3 months. You have to be physical, you have to be strong. You have to lift heavy in season to stay strong.

As it relates to where they’re from…those kids have been playing big time baseball since they were 8 in a lot cases. Nothing they haven’t seen once they get to college.

The other thing of note is look at the schools many of those UGA kids went to. Rest assured they could have handled the academics of a VU.

So the biggest issue I see is WHO they’re getting and WHERE they’re from. They could have had a lot of those kids that are in the process of assaulting them on the field. They chose these silly New England or Midwest recruiting connections for some reason?

As it relates to their offensive struggles. Couple of things jump out at me. The first is they’re thinking way, way too much. How do I know…watch how many hittable first pitch fastballs center cut they take. Its unreal. Either they’re getting loads of take signs(can’t imagine this to be the case) or they’re not ready to hit, or they’re guessing, or something. They’ve got to get to “see ball hit ball”, and ready to go on first pitch.

Secondly nearly all of their swings look manufactured. Really concerned with the mechanics of hitting vs old school getting the barrel to the baseball. I mentioned this in response to @DoreFan post the other day….2 strikes they look like hell. They should spread out, no stride and take the knob right to the ball and put it in play. Very few 2 strike adjustments that I’ve seen. At this point as badly as their struggling I’d have that approach every pitch 1 through 9.

Their arms, they have arms. I think as those kids mature it will get better.

But the biggest thing I see is they don’t target or sign the same type kids a UGA, LSU, A&M are signing. Particularly UGA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News