ADVERTISEMENT

Football Wednesday's practice report

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
Vanderbilt practiced on Wednesday morning, starting a few minutes after 7.

This is the team’s fourth practice.

We were given 20 minutes of access, during which there were no live scrimmage reps.

We mostly observed walk-throughs today, so there’s little to report there other than who was lining up where, who was not participating, etc. However, we’ve also kept our ear to the ground as to how things have gone, so with that, here’s what we have.

Deuce Wallace is taking first-team reps at quarterback
As was the case in the first practice, redshirt junior Deuce Wallace is taking first-team QB reps. We hear that’s been the case throughout spring. We also hear that Wallace is doing well and legitimately winning the job based on performance. A source I communicated with would not be surprised if things remained that way.

As for backup Riley Neal, I have not heard much either way on his performance. Remember, we’re four practices in.

I’m told that the read option, with the QB taking the ball and running, is more of a part of the offense than before. It’s always been in the playbook, but VU hasn’t had mobile QBs recently.

Offensive line struggling to re-build with new faces
VU lost three starters, including potential NFL players Bruno Reagan and Justin Skule. We expected there to be struggles here. We’re told it’s the biggest area of concern on the team right now.

Here is how VU lined up with its first and second teams today:

LT: Jonathan Stewart/no backup
LG: Saige Young/Jonah Buchanan
C: Grant Miller/Dan Dawkins
RG: Sean McMoore/Michael Warden
RT: Cole Clemens/Tyler Steen

A few notes:
  • We did not see starting LT Devin Cochran today. I don’t have any reason to think this is troublesome—I’m told he’s a good kid, and players often miss practices this time of year for class—but will follow up and see if I learn anything.
  • McMoore continues to work at right guard, which is where I saw him at the other practice where we got access. To that Miller continues to get first-team reps at center.
  • I had never noticed Warden until today. He’s a sophomore walk-on from Ohio and I suspect he’s just a place-holder. These things happen everywhere this time of year as teams lose linemen and await the arrival of freshmen in the fall.
Odeyingbo breaking out?
Defensive lineman Dayo Odeyingbo has always been blessed with potential. It sounds as if more of it may be realized soon.

A source described Odeyingbo as bing “dominant on the edge playing 5-technique” and said he’s improved as a run stopper.

Alston Orji emerges inside
A big question has been who’ll replace graduated Jordan Griffin, who rarely came off the field, at inside linebacker. I am told that Orji is getting most of the reps alongside Dimitri Moore (who almost never came out of games from the midway point of the season on).

Orji, of course, was one of the most highly decorated recruits to sign at VU in decades. Orji looked more physically ready than any of his teammates last August, but something—injuries, or probably more likely, not being entirely familiar with the system—kept him off the field most of the season.

Brayden DeVault-Smith and Feleti Afemui are getting all the second-team reps inside, I’m told.

I’ve always been a Colin Anderson fan—if memory serves, he started the opener last year—but I’m starting to wonder if he can ever stay healthy. Anderson was in a red jersey and not wearing pads, and had a brace around one ankle. I’m told he’s out for the spring.

VU getting bigger at outside linebacker
VU also has a pair of vacancies at outside linebacker with the graduation of Josh Smith, and with Caleb Peart moving on.

Upperclassmen Kenny Hebert and Andre Mintze have the edge in experience. Hebert is said to be in the 240s, and Mintze is now 250.

Michael Owusu, who played in spells last year, has also gained weight and is in the 240s now.

Also, watch for Elijah McAllister. I was intrigued with his size and athleticism a year ago. He’s a legit 6-6 and though VU lists him at 230 right now, I’ve been told he’s about 20 pounds heavier now.

Defensive backs
I’m told Tae Daley has been manning free safety, and will probably start there. He had an interception in an earlier practice.

Frank Coppet
is hurt and will miss the spring, but is expected to start at the other safety spot.

Max Worship, Brendon Harris and possibly Dashaun Jerkins are the likely backups.

Multiple players getting looks in return game
Catching kickoffs from the JUGS gun today: RB Jamauri Wakefield, DB Allan George, RB JaVeon Marlow, DB Tae Daley (despite the cast)

Catching punts: DB Gabe Jeudy, WR Cam Johnson, DB B.J. Anderson, RB Ke’Shawn Vaughn (I doubt that will be a thing)

Injured/out
The following players were in pads but wearing red jerseys, which usually means they’re participation is somewhat limited:

DL Lorenza Surgers
DL Stone Edwards
TE Ben Bresnahan
RB Ja’Veon Marlow
DB Tae Daley
(large cast covering one hand and extending up his forearm)

Red jerseys, no pads
TE Braden Kopp
S Frank Coppet
(foot in boot)
ILB Colin Anderson (ankle in brace)

Michael Reese visits
Cane Ridge offensive tackle Michael Reese, a three-star recruit in the 2020 class, attended today’s practice. He’s the state of Tennessee’s No. 38 recruit in the 2020 class.

Rivals lists Reese at 6-foot-3, but he looked an inch or two taller to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News