ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Tuesday morning coaching stuff

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
AKA "The Mixed Signals Edition."

- Perception in the coaching community is that Vanderbilt is making a change. I exchanged messages with two sources this morning. As I reported this weekend, two sources told me that Renaissance (a search firm) was speaking with Vanderbilt this weekend and one source told me that Herb Courtney (the head of Renaissance) was there this weekend for the LSU game. As one source said this morning, "Renaissance isn’t talking with agents and giving them updates unless they think there’s gonna be a search."

- As for Vanderbilt, well, that could be a different story. As I said this weekend, and I've gotten this figure from the industry as well as someone close to the Vanderbilt end, the perception is that the buyout is around $14-15 million. People familiar with how Vanderbilt does things do not believe Vanderbilt will likely pay that kind of money to someone not to coach basketball (my words there).

- My understanding is that, even after the Georgia loss, the conversations between Candice and the staff were around the staff being back--stuff like staff changes, NIL, recruiting philosophy and intensity of recruiting, etc.--stuff you would talk about if a staff is being retained. Perception among bigger boosters, from what I've been told, was that the staff was returning.

- Since then, Vanderbilt won at Arkansas and then lost to LSU. Did that change anything? I don't know why going 1-1 in the midst of a dismal season would but that's just me.

- There has also been some doubt from someone closer to the Vandy side about the reports that Renaissance was on campus being true.

- Kyle Smith's name has come up with this job a few times, FWIW.

I've got to run to my daughter's concert. Seems like I had something to add here but I can't remember it and will add it later if I do.

Anyway, welcome to my world of sorting all this out. And buckle up, I'd be surprised if we get any real clarity on this before the end of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News