ADVERTISEMENT

Football Tim Beck's offense was not run-heavy

topsman97

Captain
Gold Member
Jul 12, 2006
I read several on the board try to label Tim Beck's offense as run-heavy, and I just don't feel that is an accurate assessment. Some of you as just looking at box scores/season statistical averages, and think you know everything there is to know about his offense. There is more to the story in this case.

Beck's offense became more balanced as Diego Pavia developed. Pavia completed about 50% of his passes in 2022. I don't know why because I watch NMSU last year. Maybe the o-line allowed very little time for him in the pocket. Maybe he struggled coming out of JUCO. Maybe, his receivers dropped a lot of balls. I'm not sure.

What I do know is he completed 60% of his passes this season, AND his completion percentage in the high 60's the last the three games prior to the bowl game (Auburn, Jacksonville St & Liberty). That's when the offense became a bit more balanced and even leaned toward pass-heavy:

Auburn - 213 yards rushing 201 passing
Jacksonville St - 85 yards rushing 248 yards passing
Liberty - 177 yards rushing 322 yards passing

I get that most of you don't watch CUSA football. Therefore, it is difficult to understand what is going on in that conference. However, some of you talk with such confidence about Beck's offense, but you don't understand the QB development that happened throughout. I actually watched Pavia develop. I watched four of his games, including a Week 5 or 6 game (Same Houston St), and I saw a lot of QB growth against some pretty good teams that had more talent than NMSU. The stats also back up what I saw on the field.

Beck was run-heavy when he had to be. Imo, Beck would rather have a more balanced offense, which is what I saw late in the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News