ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Thoughts on the results of the poll on VUs hoops coach

Bighornsheep

Admiral
Gold Member
Apr 15, 2004
So right now with 190 votes, 53% of the folks think VU has somewhere between a good and elite hoops coach, and I’m making an assumption that by good or better means a coach that can do at least what CKS did from 2006/7 - 2011/2 seasons. If I’m wrong on that assumption I apologize.

I’m just curious to what folks see to make that call. It cannot possibly be this season can it. Yes they’ve had some injuries and yes I agree they play hard on defense. But more than likely unless they do for the most part what they haven’t done so far the BEST they will finish is 10th in the league (they “could” tie for better but probably would lose tiebreakers with some of those teams). 10th. One spot out of the Wednesday tourney gsme. Great!! better than they have been for a few yrs but that shows over half the folks what they need to see to vote good or better???

Oh, don’t bother with 4 of the 6 wins have come against the bottom 4 teams, 3 of those are home wins and 2 of them are against far and away the worse team in GA (the only road win of the 4), who is what, 1-13 and 6-21 overall.

Yea yea yea they’ve been injured with Robbins and Chatman so this now proves hes a good to elite coach?

Oh they won at AR. Agree best win of Stackhouse era. celebrate it. But they also loss to Temple, got swept by SC, got stomped at FL, etc.

Oh but with what he has coming in next yr and with Robbins and QMB returning VU will be borderline top 25 next yr (what I’ve seen). They have 4 what looks like solid freshman coming in. But they are freshman. They could turn out like Jabari Smith I guess. But more than likely best case scenario is they are maybe like Nesmith, who blossomed as a soph but Stack couldn’t win with him, Saban Lee, Scottie Pippen and Disu among others his soph yr (and yea they probably win more if Nesmith is healthy but it’s not like they lit it up pre sec when he was playing).

I like QMB. I like Jordan Wright. Maybe some others take big step ups. But these aren’t the top few players on a top 25 team. They aren’t. Their rotation players but not the lead. They are #’s 4 and 5 at best. (Wright “maybe can slide to 3 and QMB more like a 5/6) It’s possible but they have to replace Pippen and Chatman, Pippen a 3 yr starter and knows what it takes to play at this level (and still has a ton of TO’s) and Chatman had tons of experience. Their freshman PG seems to be good but he has a much better chance of been as good as they need his 2nd yr.

This team is still very void/very light of shooters and perimeter height/wing height. As we saw with Kornet if Robbins stays healthy that rim protector can sure help though. Can Robbins stay healthy and be that big of a difference maker. I don’t know but that team also had 4 very experienced players around him and all were good shooters. This team should be more athletic but will lack unless they fill it with shooting and experience at the PG spot.

Making one more assumption. Those that voted the coach to be good or better are also the ones (not all) who think VU has a good chance to be top 25 next yr.

My question is if both of those are the case, why are they not better right now (and I’m not talking about top 25 better I’m talking about better than 14-12 when overall your schedule hasn’t been that tough, they’ve played I think 6 total games against teams that are currently ranked in the top 25).

i didn’t vote in the poll. I hate polls directly judging people especially when it’s about what they are currently doing or pitting things against things. I’m not saying here that I think Stack is great or not great. He may turn out to be the best coach in VUs history or one of the worse. I don’t know. I’ve not seen enough one way or the other to come out and say so (I mean I have thoughts but for example Coach K didn’t look great early and was close to being fired at Duke, John Wooden was better but didn’t win a NC until his 16th yr at UCLA, Juwan Howard looked pretty good after his first yr or two now he’s punching other coaches)

That said majority of coaches that are elite you know pretty early or at least they have clear signs. Bruce Pearl at UT, John Calipari (maybe he cheated in recruiting but look at what he did and the trajectory at UMass, Memphis and KY), Tony Bennett, Roy Williams, Bill Self, Bob Huggins, Rick Majerus, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News