ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Some hoops things

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
In addition to the media opportunity, we were allowed to see about 10 minutes of practice today. Here are a few things of note:
- Coach Jerry Stackhouse referred to freshman Malik Dia as "the most talented player on the team" today, though adding context that he's got a lot to learn. You can hear the exact comment in the video I uploaded.
- Freshman Colin Smith was playing out on the perimeter some today and even brought the ball up the floor a bit.
- The biggest highlight was Tyrin Lawrence getting a steal and a two-handed dunk on the other end. Stackhouse said that Lawrence has added 19 pounds of muscle since last season.
- I was impressed with Lee Dort physically. He's got a huge frame and big guys like that are prone to weight trouble, but Dort looked like he was in good shape and not carrying any bad weight that I could tell.
- This seems to be the healthiest the team has been in several years. To this point they've got all scholarship players available.

Now, for a site announcement: I am pleased to announce we are adding Joey Dwyer to our staff, with the primary responsibility of helping with hoops coverage. Joey is a freshman who will be majoring in journalism at Lipscomb with the aim of going into sports journalism, and the back story on how we got him is really cool.

Joey started covering Notre Dame hoops from his home in Atlanta as a 16-year-old (you can see his work here: https://www.breakingdownbreysboys.c...aff-put-together-practical-role-filling-class) and made enough of a splash that he developed relationships on the team and with the coaching staff.

Several months ago, Joey--who had decided by that time he was going into sports journalism--was making his college visits and his tour guide at Lipscomb was our man Sam Phalen, who covered hoops for us last season (Sam, BTW, just finished school and is now the Titans beat writer for A to Z Sports). So when Sam was telling his story of his experience getting into sports, he mentioned the work he had done with VandySports a year ago.

Well, that story piqued Joey's interest, at which point he told Sam, "I'd like to be able to do what you just did and cover Vanderbilt." I knew none of this at the time (and was also going through all my heart surgery stuff) and then Sam reached out to me last week and said, "I think I have a great replacement for you," and put me in touch with Joey.

In the meantime--and several weeks before I knew about any of this--Joey was watching Vanderbilt's summer overseas exhibitions and taking notes in hopes of landing work here. So after a two-hour lunch with Joey today, I extended him an offer to help us here.

I will be working with Joey for the first few games to break him in, at which point he will be our point guy for hoops coverage. We will be doing the usual--game coverage, 3-2-1s, that sort of thing--and plus Joey is going to hep with the podcast. We are also tinkering with the idea of some sort of postgame video coverage; whether that will be a podcast that we just get to you the night of the game, or something along the lines of a post-game show, I'm not sure yet.

I am in the process of getting Joey comped here, at which point I'll start a "welcome" thread, but anyway, I'm really pleased that we'll be adding him and I think you will be also.

This will also give me a bit of a break between football and baseball and allow me to spend more time focusing on the latter in the spring when the seasons overlap, which will be a good thing for our coverage since I can't be two places at once. Joey has also expressed an interest in covering some road games for us also, which is pretty much out of the question for me these days given my schedule with work and at home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News