ADVERTISEMENT

Football Some additional thoughts

becks4vu

Commodore
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2003
I've been reading everyone's takes on the game. What I have to say is kinda late and not so original. But they are MY thoughts after all and and therefore deserving of a new thread.

What I liked ...

1) Good job handling the construction and the delay. The west line to get into the game was long when they opened, but it moved fast. The bag checkers and ticket takers were well-prepared and they executed. Seems like there was an increased presence of people around willing to help.

2) I noticed there were only 3-4 concession queues (instead of 12-16) underneath section D. Kind of like the queueing and service model you see at airport ticket counters. Promotes fairness and reduces wasted time for all involved. I have been silently advocating for this for years. It seems like a small thing but it makes a big difference. I think Vanderbilt is much more interested in doing the small things well than they ever have been in my 46 years as a fan.

3) I was pleasantly surprised by the energy of those around me in D. I was sorta expecting an aged, conservative, tired group but there were plenty of people around bringing it. Nobody told me to sit down. Plenty of entertaining characters. I think the elimination of the end zones and the relocation of those folks to the sidelines helped the atmosphere.

4) Playmakers. We've got them on both sides of the ball. Special props to McGowan and Shep on offense/STs and Wright and Taylor on D.

5) Run defense. We saw this in the spring and I was happy it carried into the first game. Guys getting after the ball carriers and bringing them down with force and authority.

6) Punting. Hayball is simply awesome. Too bad we couldn't down those coffin corner kicks that Hayball executed perfectly.

7) Personnel rotations. Lots of players with a significant number of snaps - especially on the D line. Like everyone else, I thought some players got too much action but I suspect Lea is using these first two games to help lock down a shorter bench for the Wake game.

What I didn't ...

1) Offensive line performance. For me, this was by far the worst position group in the game. I had bought into the hype about returning everyone, blocking for 1,000 yard runner last year, bigger faster stronger, coaching continuity, etc. They stunk up the joint. No push in the run game, missed assignments, beaten physically, no nasty to them. They need a GREAT game next weekend to get some mojo back.

2) Pass rush. Our blitzing worked well all night, and we got the result we needed on the last play of the game where we overloaded the side and stunted. But otherwise we could not get to the QB quickly enough. I know Lea was disappointed as the rest of us because he's been talking up the need to get pressure with 4 people all offseason. We did not pass the test.

3) CB play. I view their performance a bit better than most on here. I don't think we are generally giving enough credit to the Hawaii QB or receivers. Most of their deep passes were perfect and they made some very tough catches. I don't think our staff/team expected them to execute those as well as they did. But even still, a poor performance for sure. Several DPIs and I'm not sure we had one PBU from a CB except for the accidental one in the end zone on the underthrow.

4) T-shirt toss. There is a better chance of being struck by lightning than to catch a free t-shirt. Please do more of them and make sure all sections are covered.

On the fence - would like to see more ...

1) I wasn't sure what to expect from Swann coming in. The coaches and writers didn't really hype up his fall camp and the optimist in me thought they were sandbagging us. I figured his talent would be unleashed in extraordinary ways on Saturday. He can make all the throws, but I didn't see him get to a #2 or #3 option in the read progression very often - if at all. But his protection was subpar. All that said, I don't remember more than one really bad throw. Next game I'll be looking for better protection and improved poise as he finds the best target during the play and not just before.

2) Running game. I liked what I saw from both Smith and Gillespie. I especially loved Gillespie's punishing runs after catches on wheel routes. But we never really tried to establish the running game and stick to it. I'd like to see a couple of possessions next week where we dominate the LoS and the RBs get into a rhythm.

2) Kicking. XPs looked solid but we attempted no FGs. KO depth was just OK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News