ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball SEC Tournament - A Myopic Point of View (Taking Away Some of the "Glow" from Wednesday's Victory)

jfchatiii

Admiral
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
Lots of talk, and rightly so, about NCAA Tourney chances on this board over the last 40 + hours or so . . . even recognizing that making the Tourney is a very remote possibility . . . but we as fans live on "hope" (Look at the end of the UT game!)!!!!

Let's take a look, even though we all don't want to take this glimpse, we are still fighting to stay out of the SEC Tourney's Wednesday 11-14 and 12-13 play. Unfortunately, if we look at the numbers, we are only one game ahead of State and UGA as of today . . . and one of those two teams would be "11". So . . . .

• pessimistically, the final game of the season with State might determine do we play on the first day of the SEC tourney (and, if State would beat the Dores and tie with us in the standings for 10/11 then State would have the tiebreaker); of course, all of that assumes UGA would have gone past us in the standings and the bottom "3" (as of today) . . . uSc, LSU and Ole Miss do not make a highly improbable "run" over the last 7 games;
  • to stay out of the discussion for the "11th" seed (with a fairly high degree of comfort), we need to win at a minimum 3 games, in my view, based on a look at UGA's and State's remaining schedule, while 4 wins would put us in a "lock" status; and
  • optimistically (with a lot of rose tint on my glasses and, perhaps, while ingesting some illegal substance), we could climb up, perhaps, to as high as #4 or #5 in the standings if we went 6-1 and a lot of other chips fell in place, although when it comes to tourney time, as we found out during the CKS years, it's not about the # next to your name, it's all about the match-up.
Of course, many of you might say, I don't want to hear about the first and second bullet items above because they are such "downers" and/or I will check out on basketball this year if either of those bullet items come to pass, but I thought I would present this perspective. Ultimately, an SEC Tourney run, perhaps, only a championship run, would get us into the NCAA Tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News