ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Basketball - Coaching Hires - "Grades"

jfchatiii

Admiral
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
May (A), Smith (A -), Sprinkle (A+) and Kelsey (B) all graded higher than Byington (Of course, Calipari and Pope rated higher, also.). [Article written prior to Hoggard commitment) (Interesting that the writer views Manon as the anchor player among the recruits (no pun intended), although, in a weird way, Chris may be the "anchor" within the team)]

Fantastic recruiting job by Byington. Now, can he get a group of individuals who have not played with each other to function as a cohesive team? I am cautiously optimistic that he can do so.

i

Vanderbilt Commodores: Mark Byington​

Pros: Byington's life changed after he led James Madison to a win at Michigan State in the 2023-24 opener. Overall, he won 32 games last season -- a mark Vanderbilt has never reached -- elevating his profile among potential Division I coaching hires this offseason. In his first year in Nashville, Tennessee, Cornell transfer Chris Manon (12.5 PPG) will anchor Byington's incoming class that aims to duplicate the coach's success of a season ago.

Cons: This isn't the Sun Belt. Byington will have to compete against John Calipari, Nate Oats, Bruce Pearl, Rick Barnes and other top SEC coaches in one of America's toughest leagues. The school's academic standards have traditionally created challenges in recruiting too. And it hasn't won an NCAA tournament game since 2012. It's fair to question whether Vanderbilt needed a more prominent name to overcome those obstacles.

Initial grade: B-
Grade now: B-

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News