ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Jerry Stackhouse buyout

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
I am still in the "they aren't making a coaching change" camp and maintain that if it's even a topic of discussion, it won't be for several more weeks.

I have been told there is some faint noise about a job opening at Vanderbilt in the agent community--the kind of talk that generally precedes a move--but I'm still skeptical. What I hear closer to Vanderbilt makes me believe they don't want to make a change.

I am not reporting this as fact, but people I've talked to believe the buyout to be in the $8-10 million range. I don't know if assistants and staff have buyouts, too.

Stackhouse's original deal was for six years; this is Year 5.

I believe Candice extended him for two more, which would make the contract through 2026-27.

I think originally the buyout was base pay times years remaining.

According to this (https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/team/2274) Stackhouse made $3.1 million last year.

If you assume that's the salary going forward and that those years are guaranteed, do the math and the $8-to-$10 million figure should be the proper range.

Again, they don't disclose contracts and they're not going to suddenly call me or anyone else and volunteer that (especially with it not going well) so take this for what it's worth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News