ADVERTISEMENT

Injuries and strategies

MizM

Admiral
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2014
I hope Sheppard is ok. He left limping after a crushing tackle bent him backward over Bresnahan on first down in the mid 3rd quarter. I guess he was OK because he scored a TD and two-point conversion later.

— Re QBs —-
With 11:28 to go in the 2d quarter after the 3d and 7 sack, Swann came out grasping at his collar bone or sternum while leaving the field. We then kicked a field goal, with Swann having led that drive following an interception.

The next series Wright came in toward the end of a drive briefly and distracted the defense such that Davis walked in untouched on 4th and 2 in our next to last TD for the day.

Later Swann is seen grasping his arm while seated. VU didn’t signal to the other team and media our weak spots but Wright is an asset assisting Swann when he’s shaken up even though some in here denounce any time he is in, hoping to cowe the staff into thinking it’s too unpopular to use him at all for anything.

I believe the staff should do what they see they have to do to win and ignore the onlookers, without laying out their cards if Swann is hurt during a given part of a game.

None of us knows all that’s going on as far as misdirection strategy or resting a shaken-up player during parts of a game, certainly not me either.

If they play Mike a time or two, we don’t need to think we are all knowing all there is to know as to why.

On that Davis walk in TD that got us to 20 points in the 2d quarter, I thought that was amazing how fooled Ole Miss were. I guess they were all looking for Wright to throw or run.

One player had a good shot at Davis but he had committed his momentum with a step to the right toward where he thought Mike was going to go until it was too late to lunge left decisively and somehow Davis zipped by him.

I think he beat the same #2 who had taken down Swann in a prior series before he looked shaken up. Not sure what we would have run on 4th and 2 with Swann but this particular setup worked for the one play.

We did it with only Swann in the second half and only scored once although holding calls affected that.

of course Mike can get hurt too and has been targeted before. If both QBs get hurt in the same game, we may even see Seals in part of a game and god knows the howling that will come then, although I think the dogs are out more for some reason about keeping Wright on the bench and dissing entirely his Hawaii and Elon throwing/running efforts. His Wake game in the rain led to wisely trying something different when using him wasn’t effective that day due to rain bobbles + WF being ready for him.

Hopefully, though, nobody will need a breather and Swann can play every single ever-loving snap here on out.

But the staff apparently was being consistent yesterday in using whichever QB they see is needed at a given moment when they feel it would help, just like they did when it was more effective to switch to Swann v Wake and NIU.

And any time Swann needs a brief breather when he’s shaken up, hopefully we won’t have the boo birds out directing what the coaches should do.

They managed to keep Swann in most of the time despite his looking a bit hurt at one point and this hollering about what they should do is unfortunate when it’s clear the coaches don’t want to signal each injury to the other team to explain things to fans.

Hopefully the coaches will strategically do what is necessary to preserve AJ’s health and playing time despite fan pressures a given day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News