ADVERTISEMENT

How you finish a season

Bighornsheep

Admiral
Gold Member
Apr 15, 2004
Its really amazing to me how you finish a season isn't supposedly even a factor. I mean, college teams change so much from the beginning to end, they start with typically new players, new rosters, so it can take time to gell, figure out rotations, etc. I don't think this is the end all be all and you should throw out the beginning, again its just another of many factors, but not a factor at all. If you truly want to take the best 68 teams, how can teams that just do terrible down the stretch be given strong consideration. Look at how some of these teams are currenlty finishing up (unless they go on a good run in their conf tourneys):

Iowa St: 2-8 (Lost 4 in a row, 6 of last 7 and 8 of last 10, now their two wins were home wins over Kansas and TCU, but this inlcudes home losses to 2 of the bottom 4 teams in the B12)

Auburn: 3-8 (Lost 2 in a row, 6 of last 8 and 8 of last 11, wins during that stretch were all home wins, Missouri, Georgia and Ole Miss, so 2 of the bottom 4 wins. Prior to that their previous 2 wins were LSU and SC, so they are 5-8 last 13, with 4 of those 5 wins coming vs bottom 4 teams in SEC, and how are they in ?????) ** I'll also admit, outside the drubbing at KY they have lost a lot of nail biters including where they didn't seem to get a good whistle so they could easily be 8-3 down the stretch**

Wisconsin: 5-11 (some will say they have righted ship as they have went 4-5 the last 9, but not really, they've lost 2 in a row, 8 of last 12 and 11 of last 16, really after looking at this hard to feel they are a tourney team, this is a long, bad stretch)

Rutgers: 2-5 (Includes home loss to Nebraska and road loss to an 7-20 Minnesota before the loss, two wins were over bubble teams Penn St and Wisconsin, last win over I guess solid tourney team was 2/4 over Michigan St)

Oklahoma St: 0-5 (now, no what I'd call bad losses, but lost 3 home games and the two roadies were vs 2 of bottom 3 teams in league not counting themselves)

New Mexico 2-6 (includes losses at 14-16 Air Force and home loss to 8-20 Wyoming, wins were at an ok San Jose ST team and 9-19 Fresno St)

Northwestern 0-3 (Normally I wouldn't put 3 losses in a row here and was playing well before this 3 game slide, but big road game vs Rutgers to avoid losing four in a row and putting them in real danger of being 0-5 their last 5 going into the selection, so a team to watch)

Conversely there are some teams finishing strong, VU among those, will see if that makes any difference or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News