ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Evaluating the hoops team through 6 games…

Friedas_Boss

Admiral
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2003
Waiting in line to pick up the kids from school, so here goes:

Stackhouse - He’s growing as a coach at this level. He has identified a group of players that can defend and rebound and is helping build their skill level on the offensive end. He’s not elite but he’s getting better.

Pippen - Strange start to the season. I don’t think this team can be as good as it can be with Pippen scoring 22 ppg, so there’s probably a silver lining to his rough start offensively. He is becoming at better and more aggressive defensive player, which is the key component that was missing in his professional development but still has a lot of work to go and he’s limited athletically so there’s that. I am confident that he’ll put in the gym work to get his shot back in form both from the FT line and from 3.

Wright - Pretty much wow on Jordan Wright. Body transformation has made him a better all around player and he’s clearly working his ass off which is showing up a ton in games.

Lawrence - I was wrong about this kid. In limited action last year, I saw a good athlete with zero skill. He clearly rehabed hard and that has translated to fantastic play so far. He’s an elite (or close to) defender and very good transition player. Crafty lefty so he’s hard to defend at the left side of the rim. Effective FT shooter although he has to spend a boatload of time grinding on that part of his game. I’m a fan.

Stute - Try not to be a victim of the now but Stute is a different player than he was last year. High energy defender. I’m a little scared he’ll shoot us out of some games so he’ll need a good understanding of when to contribute in other ways when his shot isn’t falling.

-The above four guys are beasts, two sophomores and two juniors. If we knew Pippen was staying I’d say watch the hell out for this group next year because they’re already pretty damn good.

QMB - becoming a serviceable big. No athletic ability but he’s a responsible defender and rebounder. Not much else to say other than I hope he works hard on his FTs and develops a couple of simple go to post up moves.

Trey Thomas - getting better but his size will always be an issue on both sides of the floor. He’s a prove them wrong guy and although he’s shot poorly this year so far, I do think he will win us a few games on his own this year with unexpected offense. For now, run the point and limit turnovers.

Mann - Love this guy. He lacks two inches or he’d be great (no sick jokes here please). Mann is a really nice piece to have on the roster for certain matchups but he is physical and rebounds his area very well.

Frank - Hmmmm. I like that he's on the team, but I wouldn't play him much other than to matchup with an opposing big or to deal with foul trouble. He can do a little of everything but makes too many mistakes to want him on the floor too much. He flashes but I feel pretty confident with my evaluation.

Dezonie - Like @WestNashDore mentioned, he's going to be a good one and I totally agree. I love the fact that we don't need him right now but I think he's an all sec type player if he's a hard worker and great competitor. Skillset and athleticism is there, stroke is there, etc...

Dorsey - Patience is the key here. I don't think he'll have any impact on this team but next year, he could become a top 5-7 guy. He's a classic 3 and D but needs the speed of the game to slow down. Based on the interview I saw from him in high school, I think he's highly motivated so I hope he wants to be here and I hope he's willing to work for his playing time. Good shooting form though.

Did I forget anyone?

So far, I'm feeling like this group of players will win some games and lose some games, my guess is will end up around .500 for the year and just shy of the NCAA tournament. If Robbins comes back and is a healthy contributor, maybe more. Chatman and Robbins come back, watch out, we're going to make some noise and could make the Dance.

Any thoughts, corrections or projections?

@jfchatiii @papahick4VU @VUSeth @VUMatt23 @VUSmackdown

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News