Gold Member
Feb 13, 2019
Nashville, Tennessee
"I'll take VandyBoys for $2000, Alex."
Daily Double!
"I'm all in, Alex." [simulates pushing all his chips in]
"The answer is: Captain Hook, M&Ms, Whirling Dervish, and 3 c's."
♫ ♫ ♫
"Who are Tim Corbin, Maldonado, McElvain, Murphy, Bradfield, CJ, Cooper, and Chris."
"Correct!!! You win $75,000!!!"

Corbs is getting deadly serious and reminds me of Sparky Anderson of late by pulling pitchers quickly when things aren't going well. I do think he made one mistake with pitching this weekend -- game 2 relief -- but otherwise his decisions were spot-on. Knowing the right moment to leave in/take out a pitcher is hard to figure out ahead of time and, like yesterday with State, leaving a fading pitcher in one batter too long can be deadly.

Maldonado, McElvain, and Murphy are as solid a bullpen threesome that you will find anywhere in the SEC -- particularly so this past weekend. Throw in Rocker and Leiter and those 5 guys alone can take you a long way in the post-season. Even so, we have even more pitchers who can and will contribute to the cause.

Bradfield
605ff3083a52b.image.jpg
is the most exciting, fun-to-watch player I've seen since Tony Kemp was around.
The kid has soooooo many skills and the way he absolutely takes over a game when on the base paths is amazing. Opposing pitchers get so flustered with him because, to be honest, they don't really know what to do about it.

Although we only hit .217 as a team this weekend, we were an amazing .385 with runners in scoring position. You won't see that very often.

Only 3 guys hit over .300 for the weekend -- CJ .400, Gonzo .333, Davis .300. At the low end Bulger was 0-10, with IT .100 and Dom .100

But... CJ, Cooper, and EBJ were all 2-2 with RISP, IT was 1-2, Gonzo was 1-3, and Carter was 2-7 to include yesterday's huge home run that absolutely turned the game around, took all the momentum away from State, and silenced their trashy fans in the stands (to a degree -- trash is always going to trash a little bit.)

On the other end of things, Dom was 0-5 with RISP. But one guy in a slump is easily over-shadowed by so many others doing so many good things collectively.

Vandy's biggest assest IMHO is that anyone, 1-9, can hurt you at any given moment. I see no other SEC team like that, not even Arkansas. Everybody has 4-7 talented hitters, a slew of good pitchers, but, all-in-all, I don't think anybody has as complete a package as does Vandy both offensively and with pitching.

I felt for sure we'd see the 2013 team in Omaha, but it didn't happen. College baseball is still unpredictable, but at this point I think Omaha is a very real possibility for our guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News