ADVERTISEMENT

Football Big-picture spring practice thoughts--offense

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
Today was the first time I was able to make a practice, so, I spent a lot of time trying to get general thoughts on where things are, pecking order for the depth chart, that kind of stuff. I need to see a lot more before I’m super confident with some observations, but I’ll start with some basics where I think I can speak with knowledge.
I’ll start my thoughts with the offense and share what I know on defense later.

OVERVIEW
As most of you know, it’s Jerry Kill and Tim Beck’s offense. It’s going to be a lot more built around mobile quarterbacks, running-back involvement (even as lead blockers) and that sort of thing. I think they realize they had a concept that worked with Mike Wright two years ago when they beat Kentucky and Florida; that was not the plan of where they wanted to go at the time (they had put all their trust in AJ Swann) and I think, starting with losing to UNLV, that was the beginning of a realization that things had to change. Here we are next April and things look much different.

QUARTERBACKS
Diego Pavia
is still at New Mexico State and will arrive in May. My guess is he winds up the starter but we don’t know that yet, obviously.
Nate Johnson would probably be the starter, otherwise. He can flat-out fly but arm accuracy was the issue at Utah and I think that’s shown up this spring some also.
It’s hard to tell whether Drew Dickey or Blaze Berlowitz is the backup. Berlowitz obviously has more familiarity with the current offensive staff, whereas Dickey is in his third year on campus. I’ve always felt Dickey’s practice contributions were undervalued in past fall and spring camps; he’s not flashy but has some mobility and was pretty good at protecting the ball.

RUNNING BACKS
I’m still not sure what they have here. We talked to running backs coach Ghaali Muhammad-Lankford today and he said his room would be asked to do some lead-blocking and things like that that didn’t seem to be much of what the last staff did.
My guess is that the pecking order right now is Sedrick Alexander, AJ Newberry and Chase Gillespie. I have always liked Alexander and Newberry better than the rest of the roster. I thought that maybe Deago Benson would make a move and maybe he will but it doesn’t feel as if that’s the case at the moment.
Dylan Betts-Pauley looks slimmed down, for whatever that’s worth. He did get some touches today but I wouldn’t read much into that.
Anyway, sorry if I’m a little short on observation here but I want to dig in and watch these two groups a little more with my own eyes.

WIDE RECEIVERS
It’s not a deep group at the moment and one not nearly as talented as last year’s, although there should be some addition by subtraction in terms of chemistry that’s probably the least-well-kept-secret around the program.
Quincy Skinner made a play or two and seems like the logical choice to lead the team in receiving, but snap for snap, I’ve felt Junior Sherrill produced more frequently and consistency. I would be surprised if those two don’t start.
I’ve always loved the Richie Hoskins story, and the guy never drops a ball as best I can tell, but he’s probably the starter in the slot right now and that’s revealing about the roster.
Josh Palmer has moved from tight end and is now a receiver. I think he’s a backup right now.
Ole Miss transfer Jeremiah Dillon is out there and I’ll be interested to see if he can earn a role because there should be opportunity.

TIGHT ENDS
It’s good to see Cole Spence out there doing Cole Spence things. I’ve always been big on the talent so we’ll see how this works with health.
Tyler Fortenberry seems to be opening some eyes and I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t play this year.
Kamrean Johnson is out there and listed at 221, which I think is a good 15-25 pounds heavier than last year, when he was forced into service because of the dearth of talent and depth.

OFFENSIVE LINE
Hearing great things about new coach Chris Klenakis. He’s been an offensive coordinator before and been a part of a lot of teams that have had a lot of success with many different approaches.
As for the personnel, it sems like the approach is going to be “find the best five guys and go with them?” There is a ton of rotating guys here and there and so it’s hard to tell who’s going to fit where.
So, who will that group be?
I think Steven Losoya will be part of that, for sure. We interviewed him after practice and he is visibly ecstatic to be home to Nashville. My guess is he starts at center, but that could be another Nashvillian (Grayson Morgan) too. Either way, I think that’s two of your three starters inside.
The tackles are probably Leyton Nelson and Gunnar Hansen. I’d presume Hansen starts on the left side but did see him flipped to right for a bit today.
Jake Ketschek appears to be healthy going into the fall and I wouldn’t be shocked to see him start inside.
Gage Pitchford is out for the spring. I’d have to think he’d be a part of things somewhere.
Delfin Xavier Castillo is now listed at 361. If memory serves, they listed him at 340 last year and he seemed heavy at that.
Misael Sandoval could be a factor at one of the tackles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News