ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball A quick baseball notebook from Sunday

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
Spent about half the time watching and half the time doing some digging since this is the first time I could get out there. Here's what I've got:

First, how big a concern was getting pounded at Rutgers?
Rutgers started fall ball on Sept. 29, while Vanderbilt started its on Oct. 14. The scrimmages were played on the 21st. In baseball, where timing is everything (ask the Braves about that six-day layoff), I think that’s kind of significant because if you’re off a little, you’re off a lot.

Some bigger-picture stuff; this is November and I'm sure several things could change by February:

PITCHING
I know I’m not covering new ground here but they’ve got a ton of pitching depth and they’re pretty happy about that. My guess is they line up something like this:

Friday: Carter Holton
Saturday: Devin Futrell
Sunday: Greysen Carter, Bryce Cunningham or Andrew Dutkanych
Tuesday: one of the above three

Holton’s health is going to be huge; can he hold up and be that guy to take the ball every Friday?

The Sunday battle is going to be huge. All three of those guys looked great today. I thought Dutkanych looked better but Carter’s control and command seem to have taken a big leap up. Any time you’re pumping 101 with an effective change-up at 90, that’s a load to handle.

Behind that… Sam Hliboki, Levi Huesman (if he can throw strikes), David Horn (don’t count him out for the rotation), JD Thompson, Miller Green, Sawyer Hawks, Ethan McElvain and Ryan Ginther, my guess being the latter three could be end-game guys. McElvain could be pretty special but I think if you’re followed Aria Gerson then you already know that.

HITTING
They’re fairly happy with their lineup depth. The power is everybody’s concern but there’s some hope that a healthy Troy LaNeve (who’s had a good fall) can provide some pop. Davis Diaz was one homer off a double-digit season. Braden Holcolmb and Matt Ossenfort have big raw power (Holcomb hit one in practice about where the brick columns holding the scoreboard are) and so those are wild cards for some help there.

A stab at the lineup, with backups listed:

C: Alan Espinal/Jack Bulger
1B: Chris Maldonado
2B: Cam Kozeal
3B: Davis Diaz
SS: Jonathan Vastine
LF:
LaNeve
CF: RJ Austin
RF: Jacob Humphrey
DH: Jayden Davis

It’s a deep outfield; Calvin Hewett and Matthew Polk aren’t listed above and I could easily see either start. Polk had been hurt but appears to have recovered quickly.

Holcomb would add a huge power dimension and could help at either corner spot.

Raymond Velasquez could see time at third and has come along.

I’m not sure where Ossenfort fits right now but the power was on display to end the game and again, that’s a need.

Davis could also play second but it feels like Kozeal will start the season there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News