ADVERTISEMENT

Football A brief practice report from Thursday

Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
Thursday, August 17 practice notes (practice No. 17)
Practice ended a little early today due to the decision to have some team meetings. I probably saw about an hour’s worth of work. Again, we’re at the stage of practice where there’s not much new to learn, but there were a couple of things of note. Also, Hawaii prep starts Friday, so I guess this was the last “fall camp” practice, if you want to be technical about it.

• The offensive star of the day in what I witnessed was true freshman TE Kamrean Johnson, who probably caught a half-dozen balls of significance in scrimmage work. How much should someone read into that? Probably not much because a lot of reserves got work today and again, Hawaii prep starts tomorrow. However, a source yesterday did mention that they like Johnson, so, that could be a case where he earns some playing time at a position where they’re a bit thin with Cole Spence’s season-ending injury.
  • The other guy on the field more than usual today was STAR Jailen Ruth; I’m not sure how much he factors in this year because he’s still a bit light (6-3, 210) but there’s a little bit of a pass-rush burst there, perhaps.
  • Anchor Bryce Cowan continues to do Bryce Cowan things. I do wonder if, between that and the fact he just came over from linebacker (where they have some good players, but not many bodies) there is a path to playing time between the two roles, because he just seems to make too many plays to be kept off the field.
  • Guys who made a play or two I liked today: DE Linus Zunk, WR Junior Sherrill, WR Jayden McGowan, DL Nate Clifton.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News