ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Position Rankings

Godores21

Lieutenant, junior grade
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2015
Franklin, TN
Like the rest of you, I spend most of my time thinking about the next year's VandyBoys and ranking field positions from the least competition to most. Here is what I've got:

1) RF - Isaiah Thomas seems like a natural in RF with his arm strength, and was starting to show his power potential when the season ended. Seems like a sure thing.

2) 1B - Dominic Keegan - same notes as IT but at first.

3) C - Seems like there's 2 options for next year's starter, and there's not really a competition. Either Ty Duvall returns for a 5th year and starts, or he moves on and CJ Rodriguez takes over.

4) SS - Carter Young was starting to take control of the position as a true freshman. He made some freshman mistakes early defensively, but seemed to be living up to his billing as a true defensive short stop, and he seemed to hit better than expected although didn't get to see how that would hold up against SEC pitching. If we're able to get Jack O'Dowd on campus, I would imagine he'll challenge for the spot. It was also mentioned before the season started that Jayson Gonzalez may be a factor at SS. If he's able to return next year, I would expect that to still be the case.

5) 3B - Parker Noland should be returning and was doing well in the role, but I don't think he has a lock on the position. Henry-Malloy and Gonzalez are going to real contenders here as well.

6) LF - If Cooper Davis is back, he will be starting in either left or center, just not sure what the likelihood is of that right now.

7) CF - Austin Martin is gone, so we'll definitely have a new starter here. Take Kolwyck should be back and started some games here early, but Corbs seemed to move him out of the lineup based on how he was hitting. He seems to be a guy that Corbs likes though and sees a lot of growth in. If that continues, he may get another shot to start the season. I know it's very unlikely that we get any of the 3 incoming HS superstar outfielders through the draft, but if we happened to get one, I would slot them here. It seems like Grayson Moore is a high-level prospect that we may be able to get to campus, so I'd add him to the mix here and at left as well.

8) 2B - Harrison Ray wrote an awesome letter thanking everyone for his time at Vanderbilt, so even with the option of a 5th year, seems like he's moving on. Not sure who starts here in his place. I think Tate Kolwyck has played some 2B before, so maybe he gets a shot. If Jack O'Dowd makes it to campus but Corbs wants to keep Young at SS, maybe O'Dowd takes the Dansby/EP route and starts at 2B before moving to short in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News