ADVERTISEMENT

Start Swann at NIU

Rewatched the game since I was only able to see parts of it today.

Wake is a good football team, but Wright killed any chance of winning this game in the 1st quarter. Hard to argue. Throwing an irresponsible pass & pick-6 interception -in that part of the field - on 3rd 10 showed a complete lack of awareness and then he followed up with a terrible fumble. Bad fundamentals. Game was basically over at that point. We had 2 possessions at the end of the first half - and we're so limited at passing Wake was just sitting on Mike and the run. Two 3 and outs.

Mike's real value as a one-dimensional QB was based on the notion that our OL was going to struggle to protect a prototypical drop back QB. Wright gives Vandy more "options" on offense. We watched Wright against SEC teams last year, and he just isn't an accurate passer. That is known. Teams with talent in their front 7 are just going to force us to pass. Wake did that today and outside of one long run by Davis early on - they stuffed us all day. 34 rushes 3.3 average.

Maybe NIU is not as talented as Wake and we can get away with pushing them around upfront like we did UH and Elon. The problem is - the next 8 games after every team will force us to pass. The book is out in the SEC on Mike Wright.

Here's the point. I think our OL is way better than advertised. We've allowed 1 BS sack in three games, and the run blocking has been okay. The counter might be that's because Wright never stays in the pocket, but I think it's time to move on from this offense. Mike just limits us too much against teams with any talent. I never thought we would win more than three games anyway this year, but time to rip the bandaid off and go with the future of the offense. Mike winning at NIU does nothing for us. And yes, I've seen Mike's numbers - 6tds, 1int, 60% completion pct, 4 rushing TDs. Those ratios/stats will not look better at the end of the season - I can promise you.

I'm sure Swann has faults - but he looked pretty competent as a passer to me. Bank on the OL and the offense you want to run in the future - not a QB who can't throw accurately past 7 yards.

Missouri and SoCar

This just in, they both suck. We can beat them both. Seriously if we take care of business today we have a real reason to think we can be 5-7 ... and then who knows if we can sneak up on someone else.

UGA up 45-0 on SC in the third and Abeliene Christian not letting Missouri roll them (31-10) also in the 3rd. I mean I'm sure we will lose at UGA 45-7 too, I'm just saying I think we can beat SC.

Walking thru the valley of death.

I never in a million years thought I'd be doing what I have to do this weekend. I have to go to Knoxville tomorrow and watch that team I have hated my whole 57 yrs on this planet play Akron because our youngest child ( despite my best efforts ) she ended up picking that school from the East to attended and it's FR Parent weekend. I have already told her I will not wear any orange. Wish me well and my wife has made me promise to keep my VU mouth shut so we can get out alive ha-ha. Anchor Down !

Finbaum opinion

I stumbled upon the finebaum show a few minutes ago . I heard him give an opinion about his trip to Vanderbilt an whether he thinks we are serious about being competitive . He seems to think nothing has changed. We shall see in the future. But thank goodness opinions don't dictate results. One day at a time. One game at a time. Show improvement an stick to the process. #nevergiveup

Who starts at QB this Saturday?

Is Mike Wright going to be the guy moving forward or do they go with the freshman?

Has a depth chart been released? I would imagine they want NIU wasting practice time on both QBs considering how different the two are.

Also - Please run jet sweeps and fakes regardless of who the QB is. I know it sounds simplistic but it is brutally difficult for linebackers and safeties to diagnose who has the ball. If you can slow down the run stoppers for a split second, that may be the difference between the success of a play of failure of it.

Friday Night Lights

Duran Parish had a good night for Biloxi tonight. On one touchdown reception (which ended up being the game winner) he went up SKY high to get the ball in a crowd, came down with it and got into the end zone. I would say he was playing above the rim. Also had a dynamic punt return, as well as good pass receptions and a reverse. He is really fast, and elusive. But can also carry some contact. Still raw for sure (and still learning the game), but a lot of skills to work with.

Audio Corey Chavous, on AJ Swann and Vandy's matchup with Northern Illinois

Login to view embedded media
What did Corey Chavous see in AJ Swann against Wake Forest? Where is Vanderbilt having communications issues on defense? How do the Commodores match up with Northern Illinois? Those topics, and more, in our latest podcast with one of the the NFL's foremost draft experts.

FB Recruiting News and Notes: Sept. 14th

Login to view embedded media
Lanier picked up a new offer from Minnesota last night, so that's something to monitor because other teams will likely get involved. As previously mentioned, Lanier was a guest of Georgia Tech for their opener against Clemson at the Dome along with two other Vandy commits in Martel Hight and Anthony Miles.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT