Would you date a rival fan? (help with academic research)

Discussion in 'General Sports Forum' started by sportprof101, Mar 12, 2016.

1. sportprof101

Expand Collapse

What does rivalry mean to you?
    I'm a college student working with my professors to answer that question and others related to understanding fans' perspective of college basketball rivalries. Please take our survey (5-10 minutes) to tell us what rivalry means to Vanderbilt fans, and we'll come back to share the results once compiled.

https://wcu.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_e97UuC53ndtXm5v&mbsrc=mb1033

Thanks in advance for helping with our research! You can see this WSJ article for more about our previous rivalry work in college football (http://on.wsj.com/1zFB6Gd), and we look forward to learning about college basketball rivalries as well.

(To Mods: Sorry if this isn't acceptable use of the board. If you'd like it posted elsewhere, just please let us know and we'll remove it; however, our similar survey in college football was popular for discussion in the team forums, and we hope your members will also enjoy it)

William Borland, Sports Business student at Northern Kentucky University
    Dr. Joe Cobbs, Northern Kentucky University
    Dr. David Tyler, Western Carolina University

2. vadore

vadore Admiral
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I cracked up at thread title. On first read I thought you meant would you date someone on this site and then, you freakn' kidding me!? There are so many ways to go for laughs here but I'll just leave it at that.

3. PhilipVU94

PhilipVU94 Admiral
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

C'mon, @vadore, this is the next generation of researchers. Let's support them. :)

Fun survey. I especially liked how it produced special Kentucky-specific questions when I got to the second rival:

[​IMG]

Just kidding. I think.

@sportprof101, I would love to talk to you about your research design. In particular I'm interested in how you control for response bias, and for certain other biases. Also seems like you need to account for strength of the team involved. For example, I'd pay much more for a guaranteed win over KY (2nd rival) than TN (1st) because Kentucky is almost always better.