ADVERTISEMENT

Which positions are allowed to play physically??

doctordore

Admiral
Dec 11, 2006
I hear them talk about cleaning up the game all the time and calling hand checking, etc. Then I watch offensive players drive towards a planted, stationary post player, rub his shoulder and draw the foul. There are both extremes going on. Damian Jones is not allowed to be physical...at all. While guards are taught to run and throw their weight into a post like that to get the foul. And they want to do away with taking charges??? What's left? Make the paint a no defender zone?

What I believe is happening is that big men were, over time, forced to clean up the contact, so guards are now trained to take advantage of that. Perimeter guys hold on screens, they drive into post player's chests, etc. It's what Bo Ryan was complaining about. Big guys can't do any of that. A guy like Okafor last night could barely extend his arms without a whistle.

So when they say clean it all up...they should say clean up the perimeter play. Because the post guys are walking on egg shells, or sitting on the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.