ADVERTISEMENT

Well, that was encouraging...

papahick4VU

Admiral
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2014
Overall, a very good effort tonight versus Georgia. Just got caught up on it after being out tonight.

I thought the team played pretty solid defense for most of the evening. They made good use of their fouls at the five spot tonight. LaChance has really taken the "take some charges out there" to heart; he's got limitations in defending, but he's stealing some possessions by drawing 1-2 charges a game. While Georgia only committed 10 turnovers, six were steals (3 for Lee), which can lead to quick points on the other end. Georgia likes to be a plodding team on offense, but getting behind big in the last 10 minutes meant they had to speed up their game, and their shooting % went down dramatically during that time (going over six minutes, I think, without a field goal).

I said in another thread that if VU shot similarly from beyond the arc as they did at Auburn, they had an excellent chance of winning. 11-24 is a little below what they shot on the plains, but pretty close nonetheless. Lee knocking down 3 of 6, and Willis knocking down 3 of 7, were big. Is Toye's shooting from outside finally starting to improve?

I thought LaChance played another heady, gritty game tonight. He even led the team in minutes played tonight (38), a stat usually reserved for Roberson, who must have felt almost giddy by only having to play 34 minutes tonight. Toye was 5-6 from the field, and has managed to limit his fouls on his drives to the basket in recent games. If he can keep that up, that can be a significant boost to the team.

Free throws: 16-16. Yes, I know Riley missed one, but it doesn't count since there was a lane violation against the 'Dawgs. Really nice to see after some of the struggles this season.

The rebounding was just about even tonight. Considering how much more physical the Bulldogs are, I see that as a win. Roberson, of course, led the team in boards again tonight. Why expect otherwise? He is a man's man.

The only real negative for me tonight? Turnovers. Got to take much better care of the basketball than that most nights. For as well as Willis shot the ball tonight from beyond the arc, his turnovers were really bad; simply very careless.

Really glad to see the team get a much needed, and much deserved, victory tonight. They are working hard and playing hard, which is about all you can ask. Congrats to the coaches and the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News