ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on what transpired today

FlyDore03

Commodore
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2014
  • I'll start by saying Mason does not deserve to stay on as head coach. He's had six seasons to show he has the makeup to lead Vanderbilt's football program. Even putting wins and losses aside, this season has confirmed he is not the man built for the job. His "waves" comment (while somewhat true) and his throwing guys under the bus throughout the season has spoken volumes. If I had heard a coach say those things at any level at which I played, it would have been nearly impossible to follow his lead afterward.
  • Ideally, ADMT and the other powers that be would have fired Mason after UNLV, let Horton coach out the season, and then hired an older but competent "caretaker" sort of coach for a year while the resource and facilities plan was finalized (similar to what Baylor did with Jim Grobe while they cleaned house and got things lined up for Matt Rhule).
  • But things at Vandy are complex. ADMT faces a number of variables that most other ADs don't face that constrain his ability to optimize both the coaching staff and the facility/resource upgrades. Many of those have been mentioned on here.
  • ADMT is rolling the dice. The allusions to "SOV" on Twitter and elsewhere are surprising; Turner's message is anything but SOV. For years VU has slapped band-aids (to put it gently) on facilities and has shortchanged the program on financial resources. Recruits call the weight room "old school." Even a blind man can tell the stadium has been neglected. Forcing a change to the resource/facility mindset is a laudable undertaking. ADMT has the experience and smarts to do it. The risk, of course, is that others who have power and influence over athletics won't buy into the message, and Turner comes out looking poorly.
  • One thing I have not seen mentioned--Turner has now boxed Mason in. Mason lamented the resources and uphill battles Vandy faces in his presser after Kentucky. Well, Turner (in theory) has called the bluff. Certainly, not much can be changed in terms of facilities in 9 months. But IF ADMT can at least signal with certainty that he has the right commitment and investment, Mason has no more excuses. Leverage shifts, and firing Mason should he continue to underperform will be easier.
  • So, ADMT and others must publicly put the idea of changing the mindset about the program, and the facility and resource plan, into clear detail in order to send that signal. And they need to do so soon. How and when that happens will be crucial for the fate of the program. Do not doubt ADMT is making the effort to make it happen. Whether he can is the question.
Flame away.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News