ADVERTISEMENT

thoughts on A, B, C's, NIL, academics

vandymick7

Sub-lieutenant
Gold Member
Aug 30, 2020
I was kind of hopeful about seeing an improvement in all of the major sports until reading some comments made by Chris Lee. I don't disagree with or question anything Chris said and that is why I am no longer very optimistic about any improvement. By improvement, I mean reaching a level of being a true competitor on the SEC level. In baseball, it would mean a return to a level of excellence in the SEC. These are my observations:
1. Does Vandy really have the NIL resources available to compete? And if it does, does it make much difference due to other factors such a history of losing, academic expectations, others?
2. If indeed, Vandy is getting commitments from C's instead of A's and B's, over a period of time, can it ever compete on an SEC level or simply have that one good year when things go right, and the team over-achieves?
3. With players sometimes being so well-compensated, is it reasonable to expect them to attend class if they have no real interest in doing so? Not just at Vanderbilt. We know Vanderbilt will always require this and rightly so. But is it time for the NCAA to admit that these athletes are being admitted to school to play not necessarily to receive a degree.
4. However, it does not matter whether I am full of optimism or feel there is very little hope, I will be there every game cheering for the Black and Gold, expecting (or at least hoping) to win. Anchor Down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.