ADVERTISEMENT

Football Stanford question re: CDM

Henry Nichols

Admiral
Gold Member
Jul 13, 2004
Lexington, KY
Have been kicking this around in my head for awhile: despite Mason’s struggles at Vandy, would he be considered the front-runner to get the Stanford job (of the obvious candidates in the Harbaugh coaching tree) if and when David Shaw takes an NFL HC job?

I’m trying to think of other successful members of the Harbaugh tree that have gone on to do great things but apart from Harbaugh and Shaw, the best example I can come up with is Greg Roman, who has gone on to do some good things in the NFL but has also lost a few asst gigs as well.

Willie Taggart, Harbaugh’s RB coach before he left for Western Kentucky, has achieved too much success to consider the Stanford job unless he were to have a falling-out at Florida State.

Other assistants, like Vic Fangio, Harbaugh’s longtime DC, are likely too old to be considered for that job. Mason, meanwhile, is relatively young and has been just successful enough at Vandy (and run his program the right way in so doing) to at least be considered.

While there’s no guarantee Stanford stays in the Harbaugh tree, I have to think it’s simply a matter of time that Shaw lands an NFL gig. Wish the Titans would have gotten him tbh.

@FlyDore03 @Chris Lee @JustinAngel

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News