ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Recruiting Recruitment not a focus for top 50 Matthew Murrell (article)

David Sisk

Lieutenant
Gold Member
Jun 10, 2015
Four-star shooting guard Matthew Murrell has worked hard to become one of the top players in the country and now he's reaping the benefits. But, his focus remains on continuing to elevate his game and status.

A native of Memphis who will spend his senior season at Bradenton (Fla.) IMG, the bouncy 6-foot-3 guard has earned offers from the likes of Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgetown, Illinois, Iowa State, Memphis, Mississippi State, Tennessee and Vanderbilt.

Even with all of those offers, Murrell is more concerned with keeping up the momentum that has allowed him to rise to No. 46 in the 2020 Rivals150. He feels he's backed the lofty ranking up but he's not satisfied.

"Yeah, I feel like I've lived up to it but I'm still trying to rise. I'm never satisfied," Murrell told Rivals.com. "Like my shooting, I really tried to improve on my shooting over this past year because you always have to be able to make open shots.

"I'm becoming a combo guard who can play the point and shooting guard and I'll need to do that in college."

So far, Murrell has been on the campuses of Memphis, Ole Miss and Vanderbilt and discussed each program.

Memphis: "Penny (Hardway) has basically turned around the program. I mean they were able to get the No. 1 recruiting class this last year and they are looking to make runs this year."

Mississippi: "It's a great atmosphere there. They are all about their sports."

Vanderbilt: "(Jerry Stackhouse) basically told me that I'm their priority guy. I'm the type of person that he thinks can come in and turn around the program. It's something to think about because he has NBA experience and knows how to get to the next level."

WHAT'S NEXT, RIVALS' REACTION
It's not possible to discuss Murrell's recruitment without pointing out that Vanderbilt assistant Faragi Phillips coached Murrell at Memphis (Tenn.) Whitehaven and has history coaching in the Team Thad summer program. That connection could potentially pay dividends for the Commodores and Murrell is comfortable with him, but he said that Phillips' hiring in Nashville doesn't mean that his former player will follow.

"Me and coach Phillips, we have a good relationship," said Murrell. "He's been coaching me for a long time but at the end of the day I want to go to the school who is going to prioritize me and put me in the best position to get to the next level and stay there."

Murrell has yet to set any official visits and he says that he really hasn't channeled too much energy into his recruitment. When he does, it sounds like he's going to rely on his ability to detect who is being real with him and who isn't.

"I'm trying to focus on my game," said Murrell. "I'm probably going to start locking in during the fall.

"I'm looking for a school that is going to care for me and not just want me because of my ability, that is going to make me better as a person. You can tell when somebody is genuine about it and when they're not. You kind of just have the feeling."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News