Chris Lee

Admiral
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
May 18, 2020

McBride Joins Commodores

Commodores add standout Kansas transfer

Online: http://vanderbi.lt/nntwo

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Vanderbilt men’s basketball head coach Jerry Stackhouse announced the addition of transfer Isaac McBride to the Commodores’ roster for the 2020-21 season. McBride spent the first month of his freshman season at Kansas.

McBride, a 6-foot-1 guard from Little Rock, Arkansas, signed with the Jayhawks in 2018 after setting Baptist Preparatory School’s single-season scoring record as a sophomore (707 points), junior (883) and senior (983). His prep team posted a 117-22 record throughout his career, won three state titles and advanced to the state tournament all four years.

“We are thrilled to have Isaac and his family join us at Vanderbilt,” said Stackhouse. “He is a quick and explosive athlete who can play both guard positions, and is a young man who can really score the basketball. He is a tremendous leader, both on and off the court, and we look forward to having him as a Commodore.”

McBride was named the 2019 Arkansas Gatorade Player of the Year and was a three-time all-state selection after an illustrious prep career. He scored a school-record 58 points in a game his senior season and averaged 28.9 points, 4.5 rebounds and 5.3 assists during his final season while guiding Baptist to the 3A state quarterfinals. He tallied 30 or more points in 16 games his senior season. As a junior, McBride averaged 24.5 points, 4.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.6 steals per game.

He was also rated as a four-star player by Rivals.com in the Class of 2019.

McBride is the son of Issac and Barbara McBride, and he has an older sister, Myia. His uncle, Reggie Coleman, played football at Tennessee and was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in 2003.

“Vanderbilt was a gift from God as a new fresh chapter in my life,” said McBride. “The coaching staff, teammates, and community welcomed me with open arms. Now, I just want to help the team be successful and receive the best education in the world.”

Any idea when we might expect an announcement on his eligibility?

I asked the answer I got was that they don't know.

I think they are pursuing a waiver. And if he was indeed run out of Kansas, I'd think it would be easier to get one.

I think this is the weirdest recruitment and situation I've ever covered. I have no idea how this will turn out.

I asked the answer I got was that they don't know.

I think they are pursuing a waiver. And if he was indeed run out of Kansas, I'd think it would be easier to get one.

I think this is the weirdest recruitment and situation I've ever covered. I have no idea how this will turn out.
Well, and you probably also throw in the NCAA allegations at Kansas and based on the Ole Miss thing a few years back he'd seem to have a good shot at a waiver on that basis.

Well, and you probably also throw in the NCAA allegations at Kansas and based on the Ole Miss thing a few years back he'd seem to have a good shot at a waiver on that basis.

There is zero reason the kid shouldn't get a waiver.

If Kansas ran him off, that's usually good for a waiver, although the burden of proof of that has gotten more difficult (see the end of this article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...lines-limit-immediate-eligibility/1569260001/)

If he was uncomfortable with the culture at Kansas and/or the probation issue, that would seem to be a moral reason also.

Not to mention, he just missed a year.

Of course, it's the NCAA, so all bets are off.

Great news to get official confirmation on McBride. Hopefully, he will get the waiver and be eligible this upcoming year. Plus, getting him in would help with any angst that CJS might be feeling after losing out on White. And, while I really wanted White, a high-quality guard with 4 years of eligibility was a bigger need than a 1-year big, especially with Clevon Brown returning and Millora-Brown completing his redshirt.

ESPN piece @ 1:08 p.m. today used the word "join"

From the piece:
Coach Jerry Stackhouse announced Monday that McBride will join the roster for the 2020-21 season.

Does join mean he will be eligible this season... Correct or is that open for serious interpretation...
Or is this just me grabbing at straws.

ESPN piece @ 1:08 p.m. today used the word "join"

From the piece:
Coach Jerry Stackhouse announced Monday that McBride will join the roster for the 2020-21 season.

Does join mean he will be eligible this season... Correct or is that open for serious interpretation...
Or is this just me grabbing at straws.

"Join" was intentional because they don't know.

There is zero reason the kid shouldn't get a waiver.

If Kansas ran him off, that's usually good for a waiver, although the burden of proof of that has gotten more difficult (see the end of this article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...lines-limit-immediate-eligibility/1569260001/)

If he was uncomfortable with the culture at Kansas and/or the probation issue, that would seem to be a moral reason also.

Not to mention, he just missed a year.

Of course, it's the NCAA, so all bets are off.

I'm fully expecting Mac McClung to transfer to UT, apply for a waiver with no legitimate reason, get it and be eligible right away while McBride will apply for a waiver and be turned down.

Watch - Mac McClung (Georgetown guard) will transfer to UT and be eligible immediately after playing all of last year and randomly deciding to transfer while McBride will have to sit out another year after not playing last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT