ADVERTISEMENT

One final idea, and then I'll try to let this go

Chris Lee

Publisher
Staff
Apr 27, 2004
Athletics is what it is, and in the grand scheme of things, stuff like what's happening in Houston is the really important stuff. (As an aside, please keep those people in your prayers).

But at the same time, a lot of what is going on at Vanderbilt really nags at me. I have relationships with a lot of coaches and support people and boosters, and so many of you here, and I know what it means to you. Some wise person once said that what's worth doing is worth doing well, and I think those are words we should all live by in our jobs and our roles as spouses, parents, whatever.

The lack of accountability and caretaking over athletics by the chancellor and the board is what bugs me most in all this. I know that's nothing new, which is sad in its own right, but what I keep telling people is that there's no *reason* things can't be better if enough people put their minds to it.

The problem is that there's been no structure to provide oversight. That's *supposed* to be the job of the board and the chancellor, but outside of John Ingram, I'm not who on that level is minding the store or holding anybody accountable.

And when that happens, it's a lot like leaving my 3-year-old son unattended for 10 minutes--maybe nothing bad happens, but it's equally likely that there's something glued to the wall that's not supposed to be glued to the wall, or the carpet has been painted blue, or there's a chunk of his sister's hair in his fist. I said that to inject some humor here, but the parallels aren't as far off as maybe you'd think.

So I'll throw this out there as my constructive idea: Is there any way possible that a board of oversight could be created for the athletic department? Not as a hostile thing, but to provide the accountability and facilitate resources that the other leaders at VU *should* be providing. Athletics has so often fallen through the cracks, I just think there should be some special measure to make sure that doesn't happen, and to make sure a guy like John Ingram isn't out there fighting battles by himself.

And, a late edit here: I mean, a *real* board. Not something Nick Zeppos appoints that has every kind of animal in it for diversity's sake. Not some person who once went to a basketball game that one time in 1964. Maybe let Tim Corbin appoint the people on it. Make sure you have active, connected boosters and former players on it, that kind of thing.

I don't know how it starts, who runs it, anything like that, and it's not my responsibility. But it occurred to me tonight, and I don't mean this egotistically, but there probably aren't a lot of people that see the things I see and hear from as many different angles as I see and here, and despite how screwed up it is, it's painfully obvious to me that Vanderbilt's athletics issues *could* easily be fixed, given the resources and brainpower just among the people that I know who care about VU's athletics.

I know... not the Vanderbilt Way, the culture has always been that way, I get it. But I always wondered what could happen if enough people cared, got organized, and wouldn't take "no" as an answer from the school.

Anyway, maybe that's stupid or naive, or maybe I'm on to something. I'll let you guys decide.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.